Chapter 17

CHAPTER 17

At the tea house, Yuri and Gretchen had been happily talking and sharing stories with each other

“Oh by the way, thanks for the milk tea” Yuri said, “You better win tomorrow so I can return this”

Gretchen scoffed, “no need to get me anything, just watch me play, that’s all I want”

Yuri looked at Gretchen and playfully shook her head in disagreement, “No way, I’m getting you something whether you like it or not”

Gretchen giggled, “You are that sure we’ll win?”

“Of course! You guys just happen to be the reigning volleyball champs two years in a row!” Yuri answered, “and you also kicked my former uni’s ass at last year’s semis which I forgive you for because of delicious milk tea”

Gretchen laughed at Yuri’s comments and her somewhat comical behavior

“So what do you want to get when you win tomorrow”

Gretchen’s lips curved into a smirk as an idea quickly entered her mind, “How ‘bout this, Will you go on a date with me?”

Yuri was a bit surprised at Gretchen’s request, “I’m sorry but did you just asked me out?”

Gretchen smiled nervously and nodded, “In all seriousness, I really like you Yuri, I think you’re really cool”

“Um, I don’t know what to say” Yuri quieted down for a moment then looked at Gretchen, “Don’t get me wrong Gretch, I’m really flattered that you asked me out but-”

“But?” Gretchen interjected

Yuri took Gretchen’s hand, “But I’m in a place where I want to just focus on me for a while, I’m sorry”

Gretchen gently held Yuri’s hand, “No, it’s okay, I understand” she smiled sadly, “ and thank you for being truthful with me and for not getting my hopes up”

“I would never do that to you Gretch, I already consider you as a friend even though we mostly just hang out at the girls’ locker room”

Gretchen chuckled a bit, “Then can we go out on a friendly date tomorrow after the game? No hopes, no emotional shit, just platonic friends who are out on a movie date”

“Sounds fun” Yuri answered with a smile

Meanwhile…

Tasha laid face down on Amber’s bed as Amber looked on at her distressed friend

“And you just found out earlier that they’re dating?” Amber asked as she sat down next to Tasha

“Yes…” Tasha mumbled, then turned right side up, “this is totally messing with my plan Amber”

Amber sprawled herself next to her bestfriend, admittedly feeling a bit satisfied that Yuri is seeing someone else, “I don’t mean to sound unsupportive here but I think it’s a good thing that Yuri’s dating”

Tasha shot up after hearing Amber’s comments. she looked at her friend with a confused expression  “How is that a good thing?”

“It’s a good thing for her and kinda good thing for you, I guess”

Tasha crossed her arms as she stared at her friend, “want to elaborate on that?”

“Well, Yuri is trying to find someone that could make her happy and if they become exclusive then you have more time to figure out why the hell you are doing this”