1005

Time passed by and after 2 years, Ivan and Max are now starting their 3rd year in secondary education. In that two years, Ivan didn't have any chance to improve his physical appearance because Max constantly pampered him and never let him stress himself.

But Ivan still thinks that Max's was just being a great friend.

Poor Max.

Max's physique had gained more muscles from running/jogging for his angel while carrying said man, lifting weights in his place, eating less fatty foods just to give them for his angel to eat because he's more important, and everything else he did in place for Adrian. From 5 feet 9 inches, he shot up to 6 feet and 4 inches. His frame is big and manly, just like what Ivan wanted to have.

But the world is unfair after all. Ivan's 137 cm height only grew 20 cm more. Yes, the number wasn't small but it is too short for an almost 15 year old boy to have. He has 157 centimeters while the protagonist had 195.

Was this what they call the 'protagonist halo' a.k.a. halo of unfairness?!

With the current luck he's experiencing, Ivan wondered if he had the villain's.

'Hey Z, what role do I have here?'

[Ivy is a minor villain. I think?]

'How can you not be sure?'

[I provoke my rights as a system.]

'...'

If the things went according to the plot, then the current day is Adrian's official doom's day. Zack had told him before that Max would be confessing to him today, though things obviously didn't go as planned. But it's fine for him, as long as he don't get to the bad side of either the protagonist and the male lead, he won't end up in the slums.

He had actually forgotten about the confession. how cruel to Max.

[Ivy!]

Ivan almost tripped when Zack suddenly shouted in his head. He was currently walking to school with Max. This had been their routine for a while now.

"Are you alright? What happened?" Max asked, worried. He immediately scanned Adrian's body for any injury, clearly over reacting.

Ivan shook his head and stopped the protagonist's actions, "I'm fine. Just thought someone called my name." he said and continued walking.

Max didn't believe but also continued to walk. He placed his arm over Adrian's shoulder possessively. Not that Adrian knows. The host only thought that this gesture was normal between friends.

Max knew of this of course. After realizing that he misunderstood Adrian's reaction from before, he vowed that no one else besides him should see it and take advantage of Adrian's innocence. So he took the opportunity to become close with his angel and create walls between them and those who might become his rival with his angel.

'Don't shout like that!'

[Oops, sorry Ivy. Anyway, a side mission was unlocked! Do you wanna see?]

'Sure.'

[Side Mission Unlocked: Be friends with the side female lead. Side Mission Rewards: 1000 points, a free skill learning, and 3 items will be unlocked in the Mall.]

'If I fail?'

[Possibility to end up in the slums will increase to 45%.]

'...I'll do my best.'

[Fighting!]

'Who is this side female lead anyway?'

[Her name is April Nakamoto. Her father is Japanese and mother is American. She was supposed to be this world's protagonist but Max existed and demoted her into a side female lead.]

'What's the difference anyway?'

[April was likely to get the male lead in the end. That is, when she was protagonist. Now that her role is lower, she can only become Max's friend and get the side male lead.]

'How did it change?'

[Information costs 1500 points, continue?]

'I need to buy the answer?!'

[Yes Ivy, Zacky needs to follow protocols.]

Ivan only sighed, he thought only the government was corrupt. Turns out the reincarnation system was too. Even if he wanted to know, he just can't recklessly spend his points. If he did, he'd be left with none.

'What was April's role to Adrian's life before?'

[She, being the protagonist's friend, hated Adrian and constantly suggested to Max to let her Yakuza men kill him. To summarize, the original Adrian and her aren't in a nice relationship.]

Y-Yakuza?

What a twist! How is that group suddenly involved in a high school cliche teenager problems?!

[And Zacky failed to mention, April paid people to torture Adrian while he was in the slums.]

'Why didn't you say so two years ago?!'

[I was newly born Ivy! I only had small data with me wuwuwuwu...]

'Fine. Just don't cry like a kid. I'll finish that life threatening side mission.'

[I am a kid, host is bullying me again~]

'Shut it.'

Ivan made an irked expression. Completely still oblivious to the arm on his shoulders.

'How will I encouter April?'

[Apparently, April will be a tranfer student at your school. On the original world, she intended to ask for direction when she saw a crying rejected Max. Then original Adrian appears and announces that Max is gay, seen by her and Wayne, the male lead.]

'The male lead?!'

[Oops, sorry again Ivy hehe...]

'... I don't know what to do with you.'

Max noticed the irritation on his angel's face. "Is something wrong?"

"No, I just remembered something too bothering." Ivan answered and the taller only nodded and pulled him closer in his grasp. Zack let out a whine in his head which he ignored.

The host half ran and half walked to school, wanting to quickly meet April so that all of this issues involving her be stopped. And he also wanted to get the reward faster.

His short height equaled to short legs which lead to short steps though. Max had no trouble in catching up with his fast pace. The protagonist's big steps are worth of almost twice his.

And this, people, is why height is important for Ivan.

The girls in his grade were even taller than him!

---

I wish that this chapter's content doesn't offend anyone or anything. If it does, I am deeply sorry

I think I've been focusing on narrating too much that De Novo lacks conversation, so I'll try to improve my writing, or i'll revise this book asap

Nine