Pieces #SneakPeek

"Aw Mena, we love you too and I can't wait for the years to come. Once we're old and grey and remembering all of our ratchet years." I say smiling.

"Right." She says dryly. I go to ask what's wrong, but the door knob jiggles. "Open the door." We stop laughing and realize it's Amena's mother, Ms. Robin. We jump up and quickly get rid of the evidence. While me and Ash sit on the bed, Amena goes over to the door.

"You might be 19 Amena but you ain't grown." Her mother scolds obviously drunk with her words slurring and all. "What the hell yo asses in here-e doing anyway?" She asks. She attempts to walk about the room, and starts fussing about it not being any food in the fridge. She's stumbling over everything as she talks and Amena looks heated.

Sober, she's nothing to play with. She's one of them mamas that didn't play and can be mean as hell. Back in the day,  if the street light was on and they wasn't in the house, when they did get inside all we heard was squeals and shrieks. Mostly from Amena and rarely ever was it August getting in trouble. Amena has always felt like her mama didn't like her and it was clear she didn't especially when she was drunk.

"Nothing and ain't no food in here." Amena says, "We're about to get ready for bed so if you don't mind...." Amena adds. "What you in here bothering them for?" August asks standing in the doorway. Ms. Robin smiles and waltz over to him. "My baby boy. You know you the best thing to ever happen to me. Boy yo daddy was proud when I had you. He made sure we had money and never lacked for anything until you came along." She glares down at Amena.

"Man that nigga left when she was a baby. Don't put that on her. Take yo drunk ass to sleep." August says.  It was no way to take out the sting from Ms. Robin words. Amena looks hurt but her expression clears up. While August handles their mother, Amena walks out the room. I go to get up until Ashley stops me.

"She needs her time alone unless that's not why you were going out there."

"Ashley what's your deal?"

"You act like we're blind Amiya. Everyone can see it."

"You don't know what you're talking about." I get up and proceed on to go check on Amena. "You okay?"

"I'm perfectly fine. She's a bitch, what's new?"

"Ashley doesn't have shit on her." I mumble but Amena caught it. We look at each other then laugh. "Some things won't change but maybe y'all relationship will get better as time goes on."

"Puh-lease Mena. I tried playing nice when we were 12. She pushed me into the pool and I almost drowned."

"After you sent that picture she took of herself to Tray." Amena says laughing. "She said she was going to send it anyway. I just helped her out... Besides she's just mad you're my best friend and was mine first. Cousins or not she wasn't around until we got to the fourth grade."

"I love yo petty ass and hers too." Amena says hugging me. "Yeah she's alright. I love you too."

The house "shuts down" for the night. I lay there waiting for time to past but end up falling asleep myself.

An hour later I wake up. I carefully get up and walk out the room. It's quiet except the murmurs of the tv playing in the living room where Chris is.

I open August door and see him laying there. I tip toe to him but his eyes pop open as soon as I'm in front of him. "You think you got skills huh?" I ask. "You can't sneak up on me. Stop trying." I rolls my eyes and get on the bed beside him.

"Ima sneak up on you one day."

"That's a dub."

"Okay we gone see." I sit my leg on top of his as he stares at me. "Why you looking at me like that?" I ask shyly. "You beautiful." I smile feeling the burn in my cheeks. I go to cover my face but he grabs my hands. "Stop doing that." He says in a soft yet slightly annoyed tone. "You just saying that August."

He sucks his teeth. "I been just saying that this long, huh? What other reason I got to just tell you that then it just being true Amiya?"

"I don't know." I answer feeling a lil embarrassed. "When I say that shit, I mean that shit. Got me?" He pecks my lips. Gahdamn. His ass makes my heart and both sets of lips throb. "Yeah, I got you.." I say getting up.