Chapter Twelve: For Tonight, You're Only Here To Learn

It was past midnight.

The pitch black surrounding from the outside was no different than that on the inside. One could barely see even his own shadow with the minimum to no moonlight coming through the huge glass window. The dark clouds had conquered the vast sky and their roar could be heard even in the fathoms of the ocean. It was going to rain heavy and Baekhyun simply stood by the window, staring into the abyss. It felt peaceful, he felt free. His heartbeat was erratic but yet it was at ease. His mind was free from all the thoughts, all the negativities and the only thing he could think about was how wonderful darkness looked. It did something light could never have done-it took his pain away. The first drops hit the ground with a steady pace only to a rainstorm. Baekhyun kept standing there, filling his ears with the sound of the rain. It was soothing and provided some sort of calmness to him, something he was searching for so long. A small but genuine smile spread across his face.

He was finally free.

"YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!"

Baekhyun was startled by the sudden loud voice followed by a crash. Moving away from the glass, he looked around in confusion. He knew whose voice it was, how can he not? It was so painfully familiar that he could recognize it anywhere.

But the question was, what was he doing here?

"PARK CHANYEOL!"

Another scream was heard in the background. It was sharper and from the authority it held in, Baekhyun knew it was Mr. Park. Suddenly the darkness started to fade away and the room became dimly lit making it a little clearer to see and as the surrounding dawned upon him, he wished he could've stayed in the dark.

"STOP BEING A BRAT AND LISTEN TO US!"

Trembling and lost, Baekhyun took smaller steps towards the door he remembered so well. The door was slightly open giving enough space for someone to see and listen to all clearly. Standing between, something irked him. It felt like this has happened before, like déjà vu.

"NO! I AM NOT GOING TO MARRY HIM!"

And that's when he remembered it. It was the night when Chanyeol broke his promise and left him broken, shattered. It was the same night when Baekhyun realized how his blind faith on Chanyeol had become nothing but a joke laughing right back at him. It was that one darkest night when Chanyeol and his parents were having a heated argument on their wedding and he had overheard them and died while living.

"Mom..please..." Baekhyun could tell how much Chanyeol was suffering. He wished if he could help him, if he could just hug him and tell him that Seohyun was, after all, going to be the one he will spend his life with. There will be no Baekhyun or anyone else. That they will have a happy ending in the future.

"You promised him, son. You..he was waiting for you for all these years.. he..he loves you so much...Yeollie."

"But I fucking don't love him anymore Mom! I DON'T FEEL ANYTHING FOR HIM!" Chanyeol finally exploded scaring both his mother and Baekhyun. Mr. Park just kept glaring at him, a scowl marred on his stern face. "

"So what if I promised him? Does this tell that I love him? NO! We were young and stupid! What I felt for Baekhyun was just some puppy love and I was just confused but I know what I feel for Seohyun. She made me realize what it truly means to be in love. She is the only one for me. I-I love her so much! I'll die without her!"

Baekhyun heard it. The desperation for Seohyun and the rejection for him in Chanyeol's voice and he would be lying if he didn't admit that he couldn't protect himself from breaking apart.