Chapter Twenty Three: Now You See Me

"What do you see Baekhyun?" The said male has lost count of the times he has been asked the question over and over again even when it was clear that he saw absolutely nothing. Nothing except ugliness, failure, regrets, and pain. He couldn't understand why would Irene ask it every day when he would always reply with the same answer. Wasn't she tired of asking the same question again and again? Wasn't she fed up with getting the same reply every time? Wasn't she tired of him when it was clear that there has been no progress with him in this past week?

Then why wasn't she giving up?

Why not quit on him and just let him be? Why try to get to make him better and waste her time?

"Baekhyun," Irene's voice rang in his ear. "What do you see?"

What do I see? Baekhyun stared at the mirror with his empty eyes fixed on it. He tried to focus, to see what Irene wanted him to see, what he was supposed to see but like always, nothing came up. He saw nothing of worth. Irene asked him the question again and now Baekhyun was getting frustrated.

What was Irene expecting him to see when there was not a single thing to look at?

After all the models strutted down the makeshift runway and the music ended, the audience rose up and clapped in amazement. This was only a practice session but the way everything had been arranged and done, it looked like an actual show. The dresses, the makeup, the hairs, the music, slightest from the slightest details have been looked into and taken care of so perfectly that Sulli couldn't help but walk up to the stage and pull Baekhyun into a tight hug.

"This is splendid!" grinned the CEO and broke the hug. "I am so proud of you guys!" She added looking at every other member with a wide grin. All the members of Team Strings bowed down happily. Their hard work had finally paid off. All those sleepless nights, occasional fights and frustrations were nothing in comparison to this. Krystal and Luna as well joined them and congratulated them for doing an amazing work. They were now certain that they didn't do any wrong by rejecting the Kims' and choosing Sulli over them. This collaboration was not only going to put the Chois' into the limelight, but it was also going to boost up their demand in the market. They discussed a little more about some additional stuff before leaving the team behind to wrap it all up. While putting away the robes handed by the models, Baekhyun would occasionally glance over at his other team members who were all smiling and chatting delightfully. Watching them enjoying their time from the corner, the leader wished if he could join them as well. He wished if he could enjoy their first small achievement together. He wanted to apologize for yesterday. However, the uncertainty of the acceptance of his apology stopped him from taking a step towards.

"Do you know what is your problem?" Irene had asked him once. Baekhyun frowned. After everything he had told her, after all those raw emotions he spilled, how can she say that he is the one with issues?

"I have a problem?" He hissed. "What makes you think that I have a problem?"

"You give up so easily. You don't even try. That is your problem."

And Baekhyun admits that the psychologist wasn't wrong. He never tries, not in a way he should and that's why he keeps losing. He lets his pessimistic nature take over his mind and that result in regrets.

But now it's time to change that.

He has promised himself that he will get better.

He... he needs to get better.

"Don't you think we should celebrate?" The leader asked, gaining everybody's attention. The room had suddenly become so silent that you could hear the tick-tock of the clock. For a few minutes, nobody said nothing and Baekhyun felt like deja vu. The silence started to get on his nerves and he regretted it right away. Maybe he isn't worth trying to do something different. Thus, with slumped shoulders and a defeated 'never mind', he turned around to get back to his work when a hand stopped him. Facing the person, he was a little taken aback to see Taemin grinning back at him.