Chapter 9 A Heartbreaking Goodbye

Alexis woke up later at around 10am. She had a harder time falling asleep after Emmett had left simply because she was worried that whatever Edward wanted was not going to bode well for her and Emmett. She tried to push those feelings away but they kept niggling in the back of her mind. She eventually got up and heads for the bathroom to do her business and get ready for the day.

School had long since started at Forks High so she was alone in the house. She goes downstairs and makes herself a large breakfast. Once she has eaten she watches the news for a while then decides that she couldn't wait around for all afternoon for Emmett to start packing.

It was about 4:00 when she notices the time. She had worked all day and hadn't heard from Emmett at all. That little niggling feeling she had earlier returned, something was definetely wrong. She stopped packing for a moment and looked out her bedroom window, that's when she saw Edward leading Bella into the forest. She really didn't think much of it and continued packing, she began to reason that maybe Emmett went hunting and that was the reason he hadn't called her. But her subconscience knew that it wasn't true. Alexis decided that she would take a nap for a bit, then get back to work.

Alexis woke to the sound of raised voices coming from the front of her Uncle Charlie's house. Sitting up she listened to what they were saying and what she heard chilled her to the bone, Bella was missing. Putting on her shoes and grabbing her phone she heads downstairs, She ran into her mom who was just getting home from work.

"Mom, you heard?"

"Yes, sweetheart, head over and see if Uncle Charlie could use our help, I'll be there in a minute.

"Okay, Mom, I'm going now."

Alexis ran to the back yard and leaped over the fence, as she made her way to the front she heard Charlie talking.

"I'll call the Cullens again. Her note said she and Edward went for a walk.

"They left town, Charlie." Billy Black informs Charlie.

Upon hearing this information, Alexis stops right in her tracks. She gains her composure and continues to walk. Now was not the time to worry about that.

"Hospital said Doc Cullen got a big job somewhere else." Charlies best friend Harry Clearwater tells him.

Harry puts a reassuring hand on Charlie's shoulder, "We'll find her Charlie."

Alexis rolls her eyes, these humans couldn't find a Mac truck in the dark.

"Uncle Charlie!" Alexis calls out as she gets closer to him.

Charlie turns around and sighs in relief, "Lexie, I'm so glad you're here."

He takes her by the shoulders and pulls her aside. "You think you and your mom can find Bella?" He asks in a low tone.

"No problem Uncle Charlie, I can sniff her out anywhere and I can hear up to a mile in my human form, I'll…"

Alexis turns her head. "Looks like someone already beat me to it." She says as she motion with her head.

Charlie turns around to see a Native American man coming out of the forest with Bella in his arms. Alexis and the man lock eyes and her eyes narrow, he takes an involuntary step back. Charlie rushes forward and takes Bella from the man's arms.

"Thank you, Sam."

Charlie carries Bella to the house, cradling her. Harry and Billy give Sam a nod of praise and gratitude. But Sam backs away, avoiding any accolades. But he never takes his eyes off of Alexis, she smirks at him, causing him to feel uneasy.