Chapter 8: Criminal Intervention

I wake up, my body tired and eyes heavy. Wh... what happened? My head hurts. I can feel the wound on my forehead, it aches like hell. My clothes are stained with blood, and a strong metallic taste hangs in my mouth... 

"Check his other pockets. See if there's anything else." My ears pick up on a fading voice, as my mind struggle to recover what has transpired. Rough hands feel up and down my waist and chest, inspecting my pockets for anything valuable. Keeping my eyes slightly open I see five... no, six pairs of feet.

Oh yeah. I was ambushed by some damn cunts. Back in that dark alleyway. Careless of me to fall into that trap so easily. Thank the Gods I haven't bled to death. But when I get my hands on them I'm hanging them from the top of the Tower. Quiet now, they haven't notice I'm awake, so it's best I keep it that way.

Quietly getting a feel of my surroundings, I've come to find that I'm tied to a stalagmite. My legs are bound together too.

"C'mon man, hurry up. It's nearly midnight." One of the men mutters.

"Shut up, the boss wants this." One of the men grunts as he continues to feel my chest for valuables. "Maybe if you'd help me we might get this shit done sooner."

I continue to observe my surroundings with my eyes mostly shut. It is extremely dark, with only the crystals on the floor glowing a dark purple hue, lighting up the space I am confined to. It takes me a while for my eyes to adjust to the darkness, but the details start to surface as my eyes start to get used to the darkness. I'm in a dark cave-like chamber, kind of like the ones in the Dungeon. Wait...

I am in the Dungeon.

I need to get out, fast. There could be monsters lurking around. I need my weapons, but where are they? I struggled even more to try to get the ropes loose, but they're like steel chains, they won't budge at all. Whoever tied these knots, why did they do this? But maybe if I squeeze here, I could loosen the rope, maybe...

"Hey! The boy, he's awake." One of the men shouts, the others taking notice of my consciousness. Seems like my actions were a bit too obvious...

The burly men gather around me, grinning. It's the same group of rogues I met before in Daedalus Street and a couple of them from the group bumped into on my way to the Dungeon on my first Dungeon run. And the one talking? He's the guy I punched in the face to save the little girl.

He grins maliciously at me, revealing his not so complete set of teeth, bright-yellow from the alcohol he drinks, I presume. Either that, or he knows very little about dental hygiene.

"So, you're finally awake. How nice."

I don't like where this is going.

"Yeah, mind telling me what's going on?" I angrily ask.

The leader ignores my question and proceeds to pull out a scabbard with my rapier in it. He draws it out and touches the pointed edge with his finger, fiddling with it for a moment. He grins maliciously. I haven't seen that kind of look for some time, but it is unmistakably recognizable.

"I bet this will fetch at least fifty thousand valis. Beautifully sharp edge, carefully maintained, it's a good blade." He says as he inspects my rapier. "It's a pity we're killing you now, cos if we weren't I'd like you to show us where you get these quality goods. Instead we gotta settle for the small stuff." He flashes the small pouch of valis hanging by his belt, my valis. His men grinned.

"Why are you doing this?" I question him, wondering if I could pry out some sort of answer about who they are and what they do.

"Why? Well it's simple, my boy. Because of what you did, back in Daedalus Street. You think you could just waltz into a man's territory like that, hit me in front of all those people, and expect me to just forget about it? Oh no no no. This isn't how we do things around here, outsider."