Chapter 21: Second Chance?

"What?!" Hestia's voice rings out from the abandon church, breaking the serenity as I sit quietly in the shadows of the warehouse, the sound of iron against whetstone echoing throughout room.

Sigh. Speaking of peace and quiet...

"Um... Er... I'll head off to the Dungeon!" Bell yells as he dashes out of the abandoned church and into the streets of Orario, leaving behind a very frustrated Goddess Hestia.

"Look at what you did! You scared him away! You and your sudden impulses!" Hestia yells.

"No, it's you that scared him away. Not me!" Another voice shouts back. A familiar voice, in fact.

Lililruca Arde. Our newest member, well, according to what Bell says.

It's been a few days since we barely escaped from those Killer Ants, 'barely' being the keyword here, and Lili just pretended like it never happened, like it was no big deal. Did she forget she was the one that got us into the mess in the first place? And I don't intend to share a Familia with a traitor. What if that was all a ruse to cause trouble again? Trouble that we might not be able to escape so easily like the last time?

But, I can't stand imagining the look on Bell's face if I did turn her in. Sure, I might receive a handsome reward and praises for my actions, but is it worth it to break Bell's heart? I can see that Bell has grown very attached to this little girl. So much that it may cloud his judgement to do the right thing. But should I interfere or not?

Well, if being a Watcher has thought me anything, it is that there is nothing like a hard-nosed interrogation to set things straight. If she passes judgement, she can stay, and I'll keep quiet about her betrayal to Bell, for now.

But if she does not pass, well, I won't hesitate to bring her in. Now that my anger's subsided over the days I now have a slightly lesser urge to do it the Watcher's way and have her hung. In the mean time, I could try get as much information from her as possible. About the Soma Familia, information about the Crime Guild perhaps, or more.

"I'm off to work, so stay out of trouble you rascal!" Hestia yells at Lili as she exits the church, stomping her way to the main streets.

Hmm, it seems that Hestia has decided to take leave. I guess that leaves just me and Lili alone in the area.

Good timing.

Picking up my now sharpened rapier, I wipe away the specks of steel grit dusting the blade and tuck it under my belt. It would come in handy should things go... awry.

As I adjust my belt, I felt a small object in one of my pocket of my pants, so I reached in and pulled out a small key. Huh, it's the one Canoe gave to me when I threatened to kill him earlier. If he took it from Lili, it must have some value. Maybe I could use this to my advantage. I quietly tuck the key back into my pocket and head to the abandoned church.

Just as I arrived at the church, Lili was just about to leave. Smiling at first, her smile immediately dissolves into a face of awkwardness once she catches sight of me. She lowers her head.

"H-hi... Marcus." She mutters quietly. "I... I have to go, Bell's waiting for me in the Dungeon." 

She tries to bypass me. But my hand shoots out like an arrow, blocking her exit.

"Not so fast, young lady." I say coldly as I gesture into the church. "I want to have a talk with you. Take a seat."

"W-we have nothing to talk about." Lili says anxiously. "Just let me go please."

"We have a lot to talk about. Take a seat, I insist."

"But I-"

"I'm not asking." My voice losing all courtesy, eyes staring down at her. My hands brush against the handle of my rapier, and Lili's whiten with fear.