Chapter 24: Rambling Thoughts

"L-Level 6?" Bell mutters sullenly as we stand before a notice board. On it is a notice, with Ais Wallenstein's name and information plastered on it.

"It was in the 37th Floor, wasn't it?" Someone asks.

"Yeah." Came a reply. "She defeated a deep dungeon floor boss all by herself, I have heard."

"Wow, impressive!" An adventurer chirped as a small crowd gathers before the notice.

"Usually, beating one of those things calls for a huge party of skilled adventurers, and it'll still be close." A young woman chimes in.

***

AIS WALLENSTEIN

LOKI FAMILIA

HAS ADVANCED TO ADVENTURER RANK LEVEL 6

FROM DEFEATING THE REX UDAEUS ON THE 37TH FLOOR

***

Wow, the 37th floor? How deep does this Dungeon actually go? Even we had problems dealing with ordinary monsters at the 10th Floor. And judging by what these background characters just said, the rumours are true. She must be a really powerful adventurer.

"Quite the impressive performance by the Sword Princess, right Bell?" I nudge him in the ribs. But he didn't reply. I look at him only to find despondency painted across his face. He sighs deeply and shakes his head.

What's wrong with Bell? Shouldn't be happy for the achievements of his friends? I have a hitch that there's something deep inside of his soul bugging him, and Ais must have some sort of connection to this whole thing. I don't know, judging one's emotions can't be deduced in mere moments. It requires months of observations to even come close to what a person might think or act. Or at least that was what I was taught back in the Academy.

"Hey Bell-" I turn around to only see him leave and melt away into the crowds.

"W-wait up! What about our dungeon hunt?"

What is going on with this boy?

THE NEXT DAY...

"I'm telling you, Orcs are not related to goblins at all!" I lecture Bell as we make our way down the streets towards the Tower of Babel, trying to take his mind off whatever he's wracking on in his silly little head. Ever since he saw that poster he's been nothing but silent. Only responding in short sentences or monotonous grunts.

"Oh." Bell mutters gloomily.

Yeah, like that.

"C'mon Bell. You've got to find something else to think about. Why are you upset that Miss Ais is leveling up?"

"You don't get it, Marcus." Bell sighs. "I'm not upset. I'm glad she's always improving. It's just that... Well..."

"C'mon then, spit it out. What's your worry?"

"I-"

"Hey! Bell-san!" A voice cries out. We turn around to find Syr running towards us. She grabs Bell by the hand and pulls him close to her chest.

"I've been looking everywhere for you!" Syr says.

"S-Syr-san?" Bell mutters as his face turns bright red. "What is it?"

"I need a favour."

"U-uh... what kind of favour?" Bell stammers as his face turns redder than a fresh tomato.

"I-it's a personal one. I need someone just like you..." Syr continues, her hand running up Bell's shoulder.

"I... er... I... I mean..."