Chapter 27: Burning Bright

I'm back...

I'll tell you what, weeks of examinations is enough to sap out the energy of even the most creative writers. But then again, the school year's almost over so that would mean I get more time to write. I guess that's a good thing.

Anyway, we last left off with Marcus being rescued by the Loki Familia while carrying Lili back to the surface for help, with Bell staying behind to keep the Minotaur busy. Now that they've got help, will they make it back in time to save Bell? How will this showdown end?  Read on and find out!

***

"This way." I tell the group as we make our way back down the Dungeon in search of Bell. He has supposedly have been duelling the Minotaur for half an hour or so, and he must be at his breaking point. Ais and Tione have gone ahead without us, so I'm not sure whether or not they found him yet.

But then again, they have better knowledge of the Dungeon than I do, so maybe they'll find him after all.

"Are you sure you know where we're going?" Finn asks again as we pass another familiar stone formation for the fifth time. Did we walk here before? Or is this new ground? I... I can't tell. I was in such a panic racing to the surface I failed to pay heed to my environment. Also, my wounds might have healed but the blood loss is still making y head all woozy. Luckily I have the most powerful familia by my side.

"That's it!" Bete grumbles angrily as he kicks a rock. "We're hopelessly lost! Thanks to this idiot!"

Maybe... not so lucky after all.

I raise my fist and was about to give Bete a telling-off when I spot Riveria shaking her head, her stern yet calm eyes talking me down from giving him a piece of my mind.

'We need you to remember where Bell is." Riveria says. "Focus."

I rub my head frustratingly. "I'm trying but..."

"You can't remember?"

"I... I wanted to get Lili out of here..."

Riveria sighs deeply. "Understandable. But at this rate it will take days to search the floors."

"Bloody stars, I really messed up this time." I mutter, my legs feeling heavy momentarily as the prospect of losing Bell grew ever worrying in my mind. If I lose Bell here, I can't... I can't bare to face Goddess Hestia. She'll be devastated, ruined. I can't do that to her.

"Come here, Marcus. I may have something to calm your mind." Riveria continues, beckoning me towards her.

"Really? At this time of urgency? But..."

"Trust me on this. It will help you remember. Now close your eyes."

"Uhhh..." I mumble suspiciously as I slowly close my eyes. This is not normal. Usually the only time I close my eyes is to sleep. Or to blink. Or to pray. I don't simply close my eyes, especially with people I'm not familiar with.

"Now. Try to take yourself back to the Dungeon floor. Visualise it. Paint a picture in your mind. Imagine you are back there at this moment." Riveria says softly. "What do you remember?"

I try hard to concentrate and remember. Well, when you have a gnawing ache in your leg and a half-dying girl in your arms, remembering what room you were in would be last in my list of priorities. I begin to strain myself as I try to bring back every piece of information that I could muster from my mind, but... nothing.

"Don't strain yourself." Riveria cuts in. "Relax. Loosen yourself. What did it feel like? What did it smell like?"

Loosening my shoulders again, I breath deeply and rest my eyes.