Chapter 42: Blasphemy and Heresy

"By the Gods... Why... why are my shoulders so sore?" I mutter as I slowly open my eyes, rubbing my sore back. "Why am I sleeping on a chair?"

Rubbing my eyes, I got off the chair and give my body a good stretch. I'm in my plain shirt and pants. My coat hangs loosely on the cupboard.

"Why am I sleeping on a chair when I have a bed... "

Why is Ryuu in my bed?

What is she doing here?!

I blink my eyes hard to double check, and she's still there. Her long green hair cascading around her calm, peaceful face. She appears tucked in nicely, and is soundly asleep.

"Psst... Ryuu. Wake up." I gently shake her body. "Ryuu. Wake up."

She groans a bit, as if begging for more time to sleep. I shake her a bit more vigorously, and she finally opens her eyes.

"Oh... hello Marcus." Ryuu mumbles with a smile. "It's morning already?"

"Yes. It's morning." I say as I quickly put on my coat. "Care to explain what you're doing here?"

"Well... you're the one that allowed me to sleep here..." Ryuu mumbles as she rubs her eyes.

...

Say what now?

"I don't remember that." I frantically say. "I don't remember inviting you in, let alone meeting you sleep on my bed."

"Well, let me jog your memory." Ryuu yawns. "After the whole burning down the bad guy's building incident we return back to camp."

"Yeah, then what?"

"Your tent was the closest to where we were, and my tent was at the far end of the campsite. We were both exhausted, so you invited me to sleep at your tent for the night."

"That doesn't sound like something I would do."

"It isn't. But for some reason you kept insisting for me to rest in your tent. So eventually I agreed and we went back to your tent."

"Then why-"

"You're on a chair? You offered me your bed for the night as you hung your coat on the cupboard. I refused, but before I could ask anything you collapsed on the chair and dozed off. So I just went along with it and slept too."

...

Why did I do that...

Do you know what the Order would do to me if they knew I slept in the same room with a girl?! Someone not from the Order nonetheless?!

At least we didn't... you know... sleep in the same bed. I'm not like one of those dense anime MCs, that's for sure. But still, this is very wrong.

"Okay enough talking." I mutter as I reach out for Ryuu's arms. "You have to leave before anyone sees you here."

Ryuu hesitates when I grab her hand. What the- is she trying to stay in my bed?!

"What's wrong? Why do you want to stay in?" I ask her. "Don't you think people would be come suspicious if you're gone for such a long time?"

"Nothing. It's just..." Ryuu hesitates before grabbing my hand, and I haul her out of bed. Surprisingly, she slept in her clothes, so that's one awkward moment we can avoid. "Besides, I'm always gone for long periods of time."

"Good for you. But prevention is better than cure. You better head back before people find you here."

Ryuu nods and she grabs the documents we collected from yesterday and makes for the door. Before the entrance she pauses, and turns back to me.