Chapter 31: Blacksmith Bane

"I can't believe that Little Rookie came to buy my armour!" The red haired man exclaims happily, earning scowls and dirty looks from passing blacksmiths.

"And I can't believe I'd get the chance to meet you in person, Mister Crozzo-san." Bell replies.

Hmm? Crozzo? As in Welf Crozzo, the blacksmith that makes armour Bell likes?

"Hey, erm... would you mind not calling me Crozzo-san?" Welf mutters, his face darkening slightly. "I err... can't say I care about it."

"Then... Welf-san?"

"Welf-san? I guess that will do for now." Welf says happily.

Yup, he's the guy.

"Now then, Bell Cranel." Welf loudly announces as he put he crosses his legs with a smug look on his face. "You came to buy my work twice now!"

"Umm... I guess so..."

"That makes you a regular customer of mine, right?"

"I... I guess it does..."

"Tch. Drat." I hear a blacksmith mutters as he leaves the scene.

"Can't believe he got to him first." Another grumbles.

Wow, competition is fierce among the blacksmiths. Turns out I'm not the only one eavesdropping on their conversation.

As the crowd dissipates, Bell finally notices my presence.

"Oh, Marcus! You're here!" Bell waves excitedly.

"Hello there Bell." I say calmly as I compose myself from my dungeon run earlier on. "And who is this gentleman with you?"

"Ah. He's We-"

"The name's Welf Crozzo, good sir!" Welf jumps up as his hand shot out. "Nice to meet ya!"

"A pleasure to meet you as well." I reply as I shake his hand. "Are you the blacksmith that Bell bought his armour from?"

"Correct!" Welf said with a big smile. "And I can make armour for you too!"

"I'll... keep that in mind. I'm fine for now."

"Ah well, maybe next time." Welf sighs.

"Anyway..." Bell cuts in as he lets out a small cough. "Welf, why did the blacksmiths leave?"

"Sorry bout that. It's a bit like a turf war around these parts. Business is getting rough these days, y'know, with all the price increases and whatnot. Some of us are already out of business."

"Ah."

"So Bell, want to make a direct contract with me?"

"A direct... contract? What's that?"

"Means I'll only be working for you. I'll make armor, weapons, anything you want basically."

"Oh. Interesting."

"But in return, I would like you to do something."

"Like what, Welf?"

"Please, let me join your party." Welf begs.

"Erm... I..."

"I don't that would be a good idea Bell." I cut in. "I think it is best if we get Lili's consent as well."

"Why? Is something bothering you?" Welf asks with a hint of anger in his tone.

"Of course not. I think having a blacksmith in our party would be a great idea." I reply humbly. "It's just that, Lili... Well... She's not the most... stranger-friendly person in Orario."