Chapter 19: Still Remembered

"God, my back hurts." I mumble as I blink hard, stumbling out from my sleeping bag. Rubbing my eyes and with a yawn, I stretch my back before slowly arising from my slumber. How long has it been since I slept on a proper bed? I should visit a chiropractor or a healer or something.

Maybe I should get a bed or something. Buy some cloth and cotton, with the materials around me I could easily construct a simple bed. But cotton isn't cheap in Orario. importing the cotton from the harvesting fields afar, resulting in its high cost, or it could be cutthroat merchants trying to sap every coin their customers have. It could look into that, but I have better things to check out.

Still though, with the Familia in serious debt, I may have to go to the Dungeon more often to fund my activities. Maybe I could get Bell to come with me. How many days has it been since I went to the Dungeon with Bell? Two? Three? As a Familia member I should be always there for him. 

Yet, all I've done is chased after an underground crime organisation and a Familia of drunkards. Still, my pursuit for more knowledge on both parties hasn't been smooth sailing so far. Oh boy. I hope Bell isn't angry about it, considering the debt that the Familia has accumulated. I agreed to help pay off the debt. And look at me now...

"I hope he hasn't forgotten me or anything." I mutter to myself as I make my way to the abandoned church. I haven't spoke to him for a day now, and I am starting to feel really guilty about it. Better find him and apologise quickly.

"Hey Bell!" I yell into the church, my voice echoing off the old church walls. "Are you in there?"

A head pops out from the side door by the church. It's Goddess Hestia. Ah, another familiar face I haven't seen in a while.

"Marcus? What is it?" She asks, while putting on her working attire. She seems less cheerful ever since we discovered she worked one of Hephaestus's shops in the Tower of Babel back in Chapter 12. I guess she wanted to keep that a secret. Well, the cat is out of the bag. We know. Still, she looked quite pretty in that dress, minus the large... cleavage her uniform tends to display to the public.

"Good morning Goddess Hestia." I greeted. "I was wondering if I could speak to Bell. Is he in there?"

"Bell? Nah. He left the church at the crack of dawn. Saying something about reaching new floors with a new helper of his. I didn't catch much of what he said though. I was half-asleep."

"Oh. Thank you, Goddess. Have a nice day." I say before leaving for the town square.

Reaching new floors? He must be at the Dungeon then. If I hurry, I could still catch up with him. But, a new helper? That's something new. Since when did Bell had a new helper? I don't think we have enough money to hire any outside help, looking at the current financial conditions of our Familia. But I guess I'll find out when I see him.

OUTSIDE THE TOWER OF BABEL, NEAR THE DUNGEON ENTRANCE...

Hmm... There's quite a number of people here. Many of them heading into the Dungeon for the daily job of hunting monsters to get more magic stones. A handful of them are waiting outside for other members of their Familia to team up with. A wise choice, I must say. As the old saying goes, many heads are better than one. And in the city of Orario, the adventure grind never stops.

But where in the Hades is Bell? I look around, scanning the crowd for a boy with white hair and crimson red eyes. But some trick of the weather had a weird fog descending down around the town square early in the morning, obscuring my vision of the surrounding area.

After a bit of searching and scouring, I finally caught sight of Bell. A glimpse of his unmistakable white hair allows me to pinpoint on his exact location. I close in on his position. But he's not alone. He's with someone else.