Chapter 46: Till Next Time

Footsteps echo along the Dungeon corridor as we make our way up the stone steps. Exiting the darkness that once lead us down towards the danger and exhilaration that we craved before. One footstep before the other, passing eager adventurers heading down the the day's work. The last few steps, before we breach the surface.

And back into the light.

The hot glow of the morning sun sets upon my skin, giving me a soothing warmth that I longed for so long back 18 floors below in the Dungeon. The familiar sound of the hustle and bustle of everyday life in the city of Orario fills my ears. The shouting of merchants advertising their goods, the wave of crowds surging to and fro the main streets of the city, that familiar smell of wood and coal that filled the city's air, it all rushes back to me. And I take it all in.

I'm back. I'm finally back.

"Yes!" Welf cries as he rushes into the sunlight. "We're back!'

"Never thought I'd miss the hot sun." Ryuu murmurs under her cloak. "But I sure do miss the Hostess of Fertility."

"We did it guys!" Lili cheers with her arms raises to the air. "We made it home!"

As the rest of the group cry and cheer, earning us curious looks from passer-bys, Bell calmly stares at the busy streets of Orario, contemplating his next move.

"What's wrong, Bell?" Hestia approaches him and holds Bell's hand in hers. "You're not happy we made it back?"

"No, it's just that..." Bell begins, before stammering to a halt, searching for the right words. "I just... It's been so long..."

"Well, we all made it back in the end, Bell." Mikoto jumps in. "And I'm sure we all learned something valuable during this adventure."

Bell nods in agreement, before turning his gaze towards the distant building of the Guild, beyond the waves of pedestrians and adventurers on the stone-paved streets of the city.

"We should report ourselves to the Guild, to let them know that the situation down below is under control and we're alright." Bell says quietly. "I'm sure Eina-san must be worried sick of us."

"Agreed." Came the response, and we begin to make our way towards the Guild building. It's time we put an end to all the worries everyone on the surface had for us. It's time to tell them we're back.

Just when we begin to make our way towards the Guild building, out of all the clamorous noise of the city, the shuffling of foot traffic, the cacophanic orchestra of everyday talk and chatter, out of all the busy sounds,  I hear a recognizable cry. Not of a human, but of an animal.

An animal?

I turn to look at the source of the cry, only to find a small figure dressed in black, perched on the windowsill of the upper floor of a building, staring back at me. Its beady eyes meets mine, the busy street separating both of us as everyone else continues on their way, oblivious to the fact that they are being watched. 

A raven.

The raven jerks its head as it catches sight of me, observing me, analyzing me. It proceeds to preen its jet black feathers, before beginning to pick on a small leather pouch tied to its legs.

A leather pouch...

It stares back at me, seeing that I have shown an interest towards it, it caws once more, and I hear it again, above all the damn sounds of Orario. With the soft beat of its wings, the raven takes flight.

"Wait!"

Almost out of instinct, my legs began to chase it, my eyes trailing it. I brush past Bell, startling him as he notices my sudden change in direction and stares at me curiously.