Chapter 26: Rescue

A/N:
Hey there. Sorry if you felt as if the chapter was rushed. I had to finish this chapter in a bit of a hurry as exams are approaching. It would be a few weeks before I would be able to find the time to write the next chapter so I would like to apologise firsthand. It would be a while before you would hear from me.

Thank you for understanding and happy readings.

___

I grumble as I trudge my way back to the surface, blood dripping down my thigh, leaving a trail of ruby red drops behind me. Even though I am using every bit of my reserved energy to carry Lili, progress is cumbersome. With a thick swath of stained bandages strapped to my left thigh and an unconscious Lili in my arms, I still have a long way to the surface.

By Zeus' beard, my back aches.

Tired, I look back to see that the chamber where Bell and the Minotaur are fighting have been swallowed by the ever creeping darkness of the Dungeon. I don't hear the fighting anymore. How... far did I go? I don't know, but it's not enough. 

I need to get help. Bell's life depends on this.

A sudden pain shoots from my left thigh. Grunting, I look down only to see that the wound has opened up. All that heavy lifting has made my wounds even worse. What was once ripping now has become a leak, a trail of blood now glinting under the shine of the Dungeon's crystals.

Putting Lili down, I quickly got out some thread and tie it tightly around my wound as the numbness begins to work its way up my knees. It's no proper tourniquet, but the pressure applied by the rope should ease the bleeding for now. As for the pain, well, I just have to bear with it I guess. I proceed to replace the bandage with a cleaner, less bloodier one.

"Ugh... W-wha..." I hear Lili mumble as she sits up groggily. "Where are we? W-where's Bell?"

"Lili, don't move so much." I rush to her side. "You're injured. You need medical help."

Her eyes, then foggy, go wide with terror, as she the events that transpired begin to flood back into memory.

"T-th... that minotaur came out of nowhere..." Lili mutters. "We were just walking..."

"We were ambushed, and you got caught by some shrapnel that knocked you out." I quickly check up on Lili's wounds, replacing the now blood-soaked bandages from her forehead. "We're getting medical help, so stay tight, okay?"

Yet Lili seemed to disregard the words that had poured forth from my mouth. She looks around frantically, panting heavily before gripping my shirt collar hard. I could feel the fabric around my throat tightening.

"Marcus..." She mutters as tears begin to form in her eyes. "Where's Bell?"

"Lili, Bell's-"

"Where is he?!" She asks angrily with tears beginning to trickle down her cheeks, ignoring the fact that she has a graze wound on her head and she was knocked out for the past half an hour.

"He's fighting the Minotaur buying us time."

"NO!" Lili lunges in the direction from where we came from. "WE NEED TO HELP BELL!"

I grab her arm in the nick of time and pull her back. "No, Lili. Those were his orders. Get help, get reinforcements."

"B-b-but Bell... He... He'll die..."

"Don't say that. We don't know that. He could be holding up fine. He's a strong kid."

"NO!" Lili cries as the anger in her rises. "This is what I was talking about! Bell's a rookie! A newbie! The Dungeon will kill him!"