Chapter 38: Safe Haven

As I slowly fill with conciousness, I squint open my eyes a little, only to be met with a blinding light that engulfs my surroundings, bright enough to hurt my eyes. I lift my right arm above my head shielding the light away, groaning miserably and blinked my eyes hard to get them adjusted to the brightness.

Am I... in heaven?

As the bright shining slowly dims down, I rub my eyes and look around. No, this isn't heaven, nor hell. I'm in... a tent? Why am I in a tent?

A small oil lamp hangs by the post supporting the tent's structure, providing much needed light for me to check my surroundings. A few scattered furniture, a table, some wooden chairs and a small cabinet lounge quietly within the confines of the tent. But, none of these things seem familiar to me.

I guess I should start looking around.

Stretching my arms, I try to move my legs, but only to feel stiff resistance along my feet. Confused, I look around for a brief moment only to notice my legs have been entangled within layers of blankets.

Blankets? Am I... in bed? No, it's a sleeping bag, but it's not mine. Not this clean, at least.

Who put me here?

Slowly unwrapping the entangled bedsheets off my body, I got off the sleeping bag, my feet touched the soft grass below me. The smell of fresh grass, something I missed for quite sometime.

This... This is unreal. I remember heading into the Dungeon, but what am I doing in someone else's bed?

Where am I? What am I doing here? Who brought me here?

Then it hits me like a brick wall. Everything that happened, sending me spiralling back onto my knees with a mind-numbing headache. All the events that had transpired since I had descended the Dungeon. The Al-mi'raj. The Hellhounds. The chase. The escape. Welf and Lili. Bell. The fight with the Goliath. My arm being-

My arm!

I anxiously looked over to my left arm, only to find out it had been neatly bandaged. My arm... It still hurts when I bend and move it, but not as much as before. Somebody must have dressed the wounds. Someone must have treated me.

Wait a bloody second.

I had broken my arm and ribs. If somebody has bandaged my arm, that means...

I began to frantically check my body, only to realise...

Gah! This isn't my shirt! This isn't even my pants! Then my underwear- oh wait, never mind, I'm still wearing them. But there are bandages on my chest! Someone touched my bare chest! Who?! Who did this?! Who undressed me?! I demand to know!

I was so occupied with whoever's clothes I had on me that I didn't notice the sound of footsteps approaching the tent.

The tent entrance opens, revealing a young girl, with a petite body accompanied by chestnut colored hair and eyes. She wears a slightly torn red and white hooded top, a red skirt, black tights, and light brown boots. A young pallum.

A young pallum...

Lili?!

Lili entered the tent carrying a small bucket of water and some pieces of cloth, humming a tune until she noticed that I was awake. We both stood there, stunned at the presence of each other.

"L-Lili?" I ask, breaking the fragile silence that engulfed the place moments before. "W-where am I? Where is this place?"

Lili didn't answer. Instead, she just stood there, stunned with silence, her eyes wide with shock.