Chapter 20: Betrayal

"Bell!" I yell out my lungs as I run pass the vast chambers and corridors that make up the Dungeon. "Bell! Where are you?!"

The Dungeon is relatively quiet for some reason. The only sound are my footsteps echoing throughout the Dungeon, but that's not the sound I want to hear. I need to hear Bell's voice. I need to make sure he's okay...

"Hey man." I say frantically as I approach an adventurer whom is currently returning back to the surface. "Have you seen a young boy? White hair, red eyes, probably accompanied by a little girl?"

"Nope. Sorry." He says as he continues walking without a care, oblivious to the perilous situation my friend could be in.

"Bloody stars." I mutter to myself as I kick a small rock on the ground.

This is taking too long. I'm already made my way halfway through the sixth floor, and the paths have been cleared by other adventurers from the earlier rush. But still, each floor is a confusing maze of corridors and caverns, each dimly lit by small specks of glowing crystals. I had mapped out many of the floors on my previous expeditions here, but in the heat of the moment I had accidentally left them at the warehouse. And there is still the possibility of monsters spawning...

Crack. Crackle. Crunch.

Speaking of monsters...

I turn around to find a dark mist seeping from the cracks in the floor of the Dungeon, slowly forming a humanoid figure with red glowing eyes. In a moment or two, the figure materialized, revealing its hideous form. It is a humanoid monster that has long arms with three claws that are sharp like knives.

A War Shadow.

They say that War Shadows are the most powerful monsters on the sixth floor. But instead I felt frustrated. Frustrated at the fact that Bell is in danger, and the only things I have found are monsters. 

As more War Shadows spawn behind the first one, each of them hissing vigorously at me, my blood begins to boil.

"Alright. You're already dead you ready to die twice?!" I yell at the War Shadows as they charge at me.

Dodging past the first War Shadow's claws, I draw my rapier and give a mighty slash to the monster's belly. Stumbling back, the War Shadow screeches before collapsing on the ground, disappearing in a cloud of black smoke.

Seeing its comrade slain by an adventurer, the other War Shadows hiss furiously, lunging at me simultaneously from all directions.

Tightening my grip on my rapier, I lock eyes with their devilish fangs, slashing the War Shadows and inflicting cuts on their arms. They retreat to a safe distance, hissing once more.

Picking myself up, I quickly scan each of the monsters, assessing the situation I am in. Five War Shadows, and just me. Since they use their speed and agility to take down their opponents, I can't use my bow. I take a quick breather and adjusting my stance, I prepare myself for the second wave.

Letting out a hideous shriek, the War Shadows make their move.

And I make mine.

"En garde!!!"

MINUTES OF FIGHTING AND DODGING LATER...

Panting, I sheath my rapier and take a look at the surroundings. There's blood everywhere. Splattered on the walls, the floors, even some on me. Luckily most of it isn't mine. Magic stones and finger blades litter the floor, but who cares about some measly stones. My mind is focused on Bell. And I need to hurry. Checking my wounds, mostly scratches and bruises, I quickly chug down a health potion and push on. I have to hurry, time isn't on my side.