Chapter 40: Buried Streets, Hidden Secrets

"I... I can't breathe!"

The first thought that came to my mind as I woke up abruptly, my lungs struggling for every gasp of air. Lying on my stomach, the pain in my chest grows excruciatingly as I try to get up, only for my body to stay limp and unresponsive.

G-God, is this way the way I will end? That I fought a monster boss, only for me to die afterwards. This can't be it...

"Come on... Almost done..." A small voice whispered.

W-wait, Goddess Hestia?

WHY IS SHE ON MY BACK?!

With every bit of strength I could muster I lift myself up from my bed, throwing Hestia off my back. What the hell is she doing on my back?

"What the Hades, Goddess Hestia!" I yell as I pull my shirt back to cover my body. "Ever heard of personal privacy?!"

Hestia did not respond to my yelling, but instead was focused on a small piece of parchment.

"Why did you sneak into my tent?! Why did you climb on my back?! What the Hell is wrong with you?! I couldn't breathe from tha-"

"OH MY GODS!" Hestia suddenly squeals, shocking me to silence. Wha-  Was she even listening to me?

"What? What's so exciting about trying to molest other people?!"

"Marcus!" Hestia thrusts the piece of parchment into my face with excitement. "You're Level 2!"

W-wait. What?!

Snatching the parchment from her hands, I proceeded to read the content about my status, something I haven't done a for long time.

***

Marcus Braeker- Level 2
Hestia Familia

STATUS:
•Strength: I 0
•Endurance: I 0
•Dexterity: I 0
•Agility: I 0
•Magic: I 0
•Abnormal Resistance: I

MAGIC:
•Blackwind (Non Chant Magic)
Allows the user to teleport within a short radius from the user's original location when not bound or immobilised. May or may not have unwanted side effects when used.

SKILLS:
•Huntsman's Prayer
When using ranged weapons, user's range and accuracy increases slightly.

•Lightfoot
User's agility increases. Can jump higher and leap further.
Footsteps make no sound when moving without injury.

•Wolf Pack
Strength in numbers. User's strength and endurance increases when fighting together with allies.

DEVELOPMENT ABILITIES:
•Abnormal Resistance
Negates the effect of abnormalities such as poison. It is easily obtainable early on by being exposed to the Purple Moth's poison.

***

"T-this can't be right." I mutter as I reread the details on the paper. My status... went back to zero?"

"It happens when you level up!" Hestia replies cheekily as she stands back up with a sly grin on her face. "Your status resets everytime you level up!"

"I... I see."

"And look! You got two new skills!" Hestia approaches me and points on the paper. " 'Wolf Pack' and 'Abnormal Resistance'!"

Wolf Pack and Abnormal Resistance, they sound cool, I guess. But something has also changed. My magic, Blackwind. Instead of saying it 'will' have side effect it is now stated that it 'may or may not'.

This is... improvement? Leveling up... I feel normal, but also a bit different. This doesn't feel right. Gods and Goddesses like Hestia are the key to looking within us and see what we are capable of. But then, she did it without my permission...