Short Story: Uniform

Uniform

When a reaper first enters the workforce, they first receive their junior circular-glasses, a simple ill-fitted black and white suit with the standard junior weapon of a small garden sickle. It was only then when one becomes a full-fledged character is that they would be able to change their given essentials of a Grim Reaper.

A smaller and younger Gakushu stared up to Ikeda, with the expression of why' written all over his face. The young boy wore the standard and simple black and white suit, on his back was his backpack which carried all his essentials; his death Scythe, his contacts when he goes back into the mundane world, his phone and soon his collection booklet for his night shift. He was about to get his booklet before Rilliane sadly informed that she couldn't attend to Gakushu's nightly shifts because a new conference came out of the blue. Grell accidently misfiled the conference, writing down that the date was next week when it was supposed to be today.

Gretel and Arthur were struck cleaning up Grell's mess at the Office, An was teaching lessons at the gym with the guys acting as her assistants, Ivan was conducting a tutorial on how to wire a house, Lucia was on her rare honeymoon breaks with Wolfie.

"Behave Ikeda." Rilliane signed and feared of what would happen the moment she walked away.

It was three months into Gakushu's record as a full-fledged reaper and school break was nearing. Gakuhou was on another business trip so it felt his son left on his own devices, and Gakushu decided to spend more time at the Department. And Ikeda just so happened to volunteer to watch over him while everyone else had to their respective jobs.

'... This can't end well.' Rilliane thought to herself. Just last week, Ikeda stole Gakushu's cupcake that resulted in the pair chasing one after the other all over the Department. The strawberry blonde even used the chandelier for support and to add momentum, he grabbed onto it as he jumped off the balcony and swinging it before jumping on Ikeda for a touchdown. Ikeda spend the day in bed sleeping off his three broken ribs.

"Rilliane, as you sure there is no-one else? What about Van?" Gakushu suggested and his main senior shook her head.

"Sorry Gakushu, he is on an assignment in Sydney." Rilliane patted his head.

Gakushu pouted and mustered the best set of puppy-dog eyes he has in his disposure. "Anyone else? Or maybe I could do it alone."

Since Rilliane was practically already a mother before her death, with her experiences with her young brother Allen, she was immune to Gakushu pleading eyes. "No can do, the Department still rather you be partnered up when you are out on shift. You have only been a full-fledged for three months." Rilliane explained and Gakushu still had his eye-game one.

"The Department finalised the orders and Ikeda just so conveniently was their nearest option. I can't change it." Eventually, Gakushu dropped his puppy-dog eyes when he realised that there was nothing he could do to help his situation. And that it had no effect on his main senior.

"I expect you to have all of your ribs still intact." Rilliane affirmed.

"Yeap-yeap!" Ikeda chirped, he gave a salute to Rilliane before he was off and carrying the strawberry blonde princess-style.

"Let's go Shu!" And he leaped into action.

"Get me down!" Gakushu screamed as he attempted to free himself from Ikeda's hold. He was kicking and pushing Ikeda's face upwards. "And it's Gakushu, cake-thief bastard!"

Rilliane prayed to the heavens that Gakushu's temper won't get the best of him. She watched as Ikeda carried away the boy in his arms as he whistled, as he played with the fine-line of Gakushu's tolerance. And she went off to the nearest café to stock up on some coffee before going into her conference.