Bygone Days

Bygone days

Ikeda hummed as he relaxed at the secretly Department-run café of Kungigaoko Town. The day passing by, people went about their business. Ikeda was relaxing with a nice hot cup of freshly brewed coffee and a paper in hand. The mild aroma of Blue Mountain coffee filled his nose. Gakushu who sat beside him was busy going through his phone.

"Okay, what did I missed?" Kain popped out from the café, performing a balancing act with some sandwiches and carrot cake on each arm for his afternoon snack. Dressed in a turtle-neck sweater that help show off his lean muscular body, matched with black jeans before finally fitted with a pair of shiny black boots.

He sat at Gakushu and Ikeda's table, joining with him was Mark and James on their break. Also, Antonio who just finished his shift at the Team-Mart store and wanted to spend time with his best friend, Ikeda. Kain could also spot Lawrence by a table next to them, he was busy reading a book, of what Kain didn't know.

"Anything interesting in this town?" The white-haired male asked as he dove into his meal.

"Nothing much. Things are only now heating up a bit." Gakushu said as he munched on his much needed 'cake of the day'; Today's slice is from a rainbow layered cake.

"At least by Ikeda's standard." Antonio snarky remarked as he poked Ikeda's cheek.

Ikeda answered with a disinterested sigh. "You got that right. Last time I was here, I was catching potential-would-be-kidnappers and intercepting letter-bombs, but now I couldn't even find a single mouse."

"All I have is some serial killer strangling girls in the back alley." He grumbled as he laid across the table and something caught in the corner of his eye. Ikeda took a second longer to look at whatever he was looking at that it became noticeable.

"Still, it is better than being a janitor for some school." Kain said. "At least now, things are becoming a bit more interesting."

Everyone knew that surveillance had resumed at the school and it further expanded into the Main Building. Cameras were placed during La Morton's visit. This time around, Lucia and Ivan installed the latest Department-issued video camera technology to avoid the last mishap in Class-E.

"Lucia should be back on the job tomorrow. I heard she just got of the Ward today." James explained. Poor Lucia was barely coping and she desperately needed something to distract her for the time being. It was good that her good friend Ivan was by her side, seeing that the two are assigned together once again for the major operation.

"And looking after Shu is great too." Ikeda added, his chartreus phosphorescent eyes still never leaving Kain as he reached over for his cup of freshly brewed black coffee. He was never one to wear colour contacts.

"It's Gakushu." He said, not looking up from his phone.

Ikeda was staring for too long, still holding his coffee mug to his mouth. ".... What are you looking at?" Kain decided to ask, getting slightly unnerved by Ikeda's gaze.

"Don't look. Your boyfriend is hiding in those bushes." Ikeda softly whispered as he sipped his coffee.

".... I'm looking." And Kain quickly glanced behind his back. There he was, a man with short black hair becoming one with the bushes like his camo-hoodie, he held out branches as if his arms were an extension of the bush. Kain dragged his hand over his face when he turned back to Ikeda. He took a moment to gather his thoughts and he looked back, eying at the man who froze when he realized that he had been caught.

"Really Tobin?" Kain silently mouthed to his partner. The man was very well toned and muscular, the bush could barely cover him let alone hide him. There was an awkward silence before Kain turned back to the group who was gleefully smiling at him.