6. Story Time

He woke up to the sound of a bang coming from the kitchen. His arm was draped over his face and he didn't want to move. Even though he just woke up, he felt exhausted as if he'd never slept at all.

"Yuna?"

"Sorry." She said softly "I was trying not to wake you up. I just dropped something, go back to sleep." Without a second thought, he obeyed.

He opened his eyes again, feeling more refreshed. He was unsure how long he'd been asleep, but from the sun's bright rays bursting through the window, he guessed he missed the morning.

He sat up and looked around. Everything was still and quiet.

"Yuna?"

There was no answer. He waited, expecting her to come out of her room or peek her head around the corner from the kitchen but nothing happened. He got up and went to her room.

"Yuna." He called as he opened the door. It was empty. He checked in the bathroom and in her brother's room but still didn't see her anywhere. He stood in the middle of the living room blankly staring, wondering where she could have gone without telling him.

"Maybe she went outside?" He muttered as he walked to the door, preparing to go out and look for her. He opened it and saw her there, sitting in front of the door with her headphones in and a book in her hand, her head making small rhythmic movements that complimented whatever she was listening to.

A lightness enveloped his shoulders and a feeling of relief filled his chest. He tilted his head and watched her for a moment, knowing that she was unaware of his presence. He crept behind her and swiftly pulled the piece from her ear.

"Yuna." He whispered huskily.

"Oh my GOD" she shouted and instantly turned to repeatedly slap his shoulder. He laughed and tried to block her hands.

"This is what I get for trying to be nice and let you sleep?" She wailed.

"Come in before you freak out your neighbors from all this yelling" he chuckled as he gripped her hand and pulled her back inside.

She tossed her book on the table and grumpily plopped into the chair, crossing her arms.

"I'm sorry! I was just trying to get your attention. I didn't think you'd get so scared." He tried to hide his laugh. She didn't respond and stared off in the opposite direction with a glare.
"Don't be mad." He pouted. He leaned forward trying to get her to look at him but she turned away again. He hopped to her other side and grinned when he came into her line of sight.

"Ugh fine, just quit it!" She pushed him away. He smiled and sat down at the table next to her with his head casually propped up by his hand.

"How long were you waiting out there?"

"I don't know. A while? You seemed really tired. I heard you tossing and turning and talking in your sleep for a long time last night so I was trying to let you get more rest.

"Hmm" he inhaled deeply. "How come you're so sweet?" He smiled. Her left eyebrow twitched slightly upward in confusion at the unexpected comment.

"What are you saying, you weirdo." Her face felt warm and she looked away.

He watched as her cheeks flushed a beautiful shade of pink. He could feel the profile of her timid face in this moment being seared into his brain. The outline of her nose, the curve of her neck, the brightness in her eyes and the softness of her lips were lines being drawn into a picture in his mind that he wanted to keep for himself. The smile slowly faded from his mouth.

"Yuna."

"What?"

"I think I should leave."

Her eyes showed surprise as her head flicked back in his direction.