30. Math Vs. Resolve

The familiar scenery of the ornate interior of the house disappeared behind the glass doors, the glare of the sun reflecting the brightness of the outside, masking the view within. They were led down a small stone pathway lined with tall grass and dotted with tiny red flowers. A small pond decorated the ground nearby, ripples occasionally forming, moved by whatever life was underneath.

They reached a clearing amongst the vegetation, shaded by enormous trees. In the center sat Lee Soo Man at the head of a rectangular table, contentedly playing cards with the other elders. Taeyong and the others stopped at the opposite end and respectfully said their greeting. Soo Man and the men ignored their presence. They stood rigidly by, waiting to be acknowledged.

Minutes passed and their card game finally ended. Soo Man looked up from the table at Taeyong and gave a long stare, tapping the cards in his hand on the hard surface.

"You've got a lot of nerve, Taeyong." His voice was stern and he emanated aggitation. Taeyong didn't speak. "You're planning on moving on someone from another family without my consent? This is a sensitive matter and you have already been told to step back from it, yet you're making plans. You're making me lose my patience."

"I'm sorry, hyungnim. I made that decision because it has turned into a personal matter that I can't let go." Taeyong voiced firmly.

"Personal? You mean that exchange that you messed up? It seems to me you walked right into that one."

Taeyong concentrated hard on keeping his expression a blank slate to keep him from exposing the utter disbelief of what he was hearing. The man in front of him accused him of carelessly falling into a trap when it was that same man that directed him there in the first place.

"Or maybe you mean personal as in relating to that girl and her brother that you are hiding." Soo Man continued. Taeyong's body tensed at the mention of her. Soo Man let out a loud, hoarse laugh that nearly turned into a cough. "By your reaction, I must be right. Even if it's personal for you, it boils down to a matter between families, son and what you do reflects on me. Your hormones are putting too much of my business at stake and I won't allow it. You know what I'm saying, don't you?"

"You're saying to leave it alone." Taeyong answered with his jaw clenched.

"Good boy." He praised with a condescending edge. "You're my successor, Taeyong. Get yourself together and act like it because you haven't been yourself lately. Let me give you some advice." He put his cards on the table and folded his hands in front of him. "Get rid of that girl. Have fun with her, get it out of your system, and then get rid of her because once you've used her up, there's no point in hanging on to things that aren't useful anymore. If you want to play house and confuse her pussy with the feeling of love, you'll both end up dying and quite frankly, it's not worth it. Maybe I should have had this conversation with you when you were younger, but it's about time you learn that the only thing women are good for is sex and getting in the way."

Taeyong didn't respond. His hands gripped tighter together in front of him, his knuckles turning white. He did his best to hold himself back from lunging at his superior and pummeling him in the face, concentrating on keeping his eyes focused and his mouth still, though he could still feel his ears heat up from his blood that boiled beneath the surface of his skin.

"I can't let her go, hyungnim." Taeyong answered with conviction, though he knew as soon as the words left his lips that it may have been a stupid move to say it out loud

Soo Man looked at him in surprise and then laughed animatedly, banging his palms on the table and gasping for breaths.

"You really do have a lot of nerve, boy." He chuckled. "You might as well bring her by to meet the rest of the family then, right? I'll be looking forward to it."