38. Let Me Go

"Hyungnim." Taeyong flatly said his greeting into the phone.

"I knew you would do something like that." Soo Man spoke without bothering to acknowledge Taeyong's greeting. His voice didn't sound angry, as Taeyong had expected, but rather a little disappointed. "You just couldn't let it go, could you?"

"I couldn't. I told you I can't let her go, hyungnim. I hoped you would understand."

"I don't. There's no woman that's worth your position, Taeyong. I'm disappointed that it's come to this. Do you know the price on your head now? Do you know what connections you are asking me to sever? The whole family will have to pay for your impertinence."

"She is worth it, I have absolutely no doubt. But you dont have to worry about any of that. There's a solution that will work out for both of us."

"What do you mean?"

"Let me go, hyungnim. Send me off and tell them I'm dead. Tell them that you took care of the problem and the matter will be solved. An eye for an eye. Once I'm gone, they won't pursue it any further."

Soo Man laughed.

"You would abandon your family so easily? What about our future? What about your position? I raised you. You are my successor. You would turn your back on me for a woman? Where is your loyalty?" Though he had laughed, Taeyong could hear the anger rising in his voice from the suggestion.

"I'm not turning my back on you. I want to say goodbye with you knowing that I am thankful for everything you have done for me. When you think about it, this is good for everyone. The matter with North Gate will be settled and the elders will be happy I'm gone too. They never wanted me in this position and you'll gain more of their support if I'm not next in line. Please understand, hyungnim, you are like a father to me. I will always be grateful to you for raising me. As much as I wish I could follow you until the end, my heart wants something else. As family, I hope that you wish for my happiness too."

"This is business, Taeyong. It's about gaining power not happiness."

"If that's what's important to you, then you should have it all. It's not the same for me. I'm sorry."

Soo Man paused and then Taeyong could hear him sigh

"Fine, Taeyong. This is the only thing you've ever asked me for and I guess I feel generous enough to comply. Mostly because it's true that I'll get more support with you gone and I think it would be a waste to actually kill you.

"My guys are coming with me."

"Getting greedy, aren't we?" Soo Man scoffed. "They're useless without you anyway, so you might as well be stuck with the responsibility. There's just one thing, though..."

"Yes?"

"I'm not normally the sentimental type, but it feels like I'm letting go of something big and it doesn't feel right to not see you one more time. Come see me so the family can send you off properly."

"Yes, hyungnim. Thank you." A feeling of elation built up in Taeyong's chest. The word freedom and Yuna's name echoed in his mind and for a moment he felt his heart might burst.

"Bring that girl and her brother. I want to meet the family that I'm sending you off to."

The light feeling within him suddenly felt as if it were sucked out of his body and replaced with molten iron. Heavy with searing discomfort. He didn't want Yuna to have anything to do with the family, to the extent of having them both even in the same sentence made him anxious.

"What?" The order caught him off guard and the disrespectful question unknowingly escaped his lips.

"You haven't even left yet and you are so disobedient already?"