Memories

Flashbacks of my childhood appeared out of thin air, like gusty winds that either push you forward or backwards. A chill ran up my spine, it was neither pleasant or or uncomfortable but it was enough to bring me back to a specific memory. I was seven years old, walking hand in hand with my mother and father, happily skipping our way to the park, somewhere early afternoon. It was a big park surrounded by bright and tall trees that covered the tan brick buildings, with a large pond in the center where ducks swam gracefully in the water as they fed on the pieces of bread that the other kids were tossing , purple and white flowers grew from the crisp green grass, and the sound of birds chirping as they flew all across the park. It was just another beautiful day.

My mom and dad let go of my hands, sat at the bench that was across from the playground and I ran towards the group of children that were huddle together to go on the slide. I climbed up the stairs and lined up to go on the slide, anxiously waiting to go down the slide. As I was up next I felt a slight pain in my chest, my stomach turned to knots, and hesitated to go down the slide.I didn't know why I was all of a sudden scared of going down the slide, I always played at this playground so why was I so scared? The children behind me started yelling at me to hurry up and kept shoving me in all directions. I was stuck and I tried so hard to pass through the group of kids. I yelled for them to step back but my voice was too low for them to hear me, so I was still being pushed back to go down the slide. Tears start to run down my face, I kept looking back at my parents who were sitting at the bench and all I could see was my mom covering her face and my dad with a red angry face yelling at her in the distance. The screaming and yelling was so overwhelming that I knelled down and covered my face and ear , to block out the noise. Their body heat mixed with the chills and shivers from my anxiety attack was unbearable I stared to feel nauseous, until I heard a kid's voice and felt a pair of hands grab my hands and pulled me up.

"Stop pushing her! Can't you see she's scared and is trying to get off the slide!?" The kid yells and gently guides me out of the crowd and down the stairs. The noise started to fade and we finally made it out. My hands were sweaty and my body was weak but I didn't pay any mind. He takes me to another jungle gym that was empty and we sat down and I dust off the any dirt that was on me. I kept looking down at my feet because I was nervous and did't know who the kid was and I was too embarrassed to say anything. The kid turned towards me and breaks the awkward silence.

"Are you ok?"

I nod my head yes.

"I'm sorry that this all happened to you. They like to take over the park sometimes. I see you go to this park sometimes." He tilts his head to get my attention but my head is still down. So I just shrug in response.

"At least we're here at the monkey bars. No one likes the monkey bars, you know. Your hands starts to hurt from the bars rubbing your hands and you end up falling on your ass anyway." He says under a chuckle and I couldn't help to laugh a little at what he said since it was true. I was a bit surprise that he cured since he was probably just a year or two older than me. He takes out his hand and I just look at them, unsure to shake them or not. But I manage to shake them.

"I'm Lim Jaebum. My family and I just moved here about seven months ago from South Korea. I go to school here. I'm in the fourth grade. What's your name?" He smiles at me and I start to warm up to him.

"My name is Y/N....I was born and raised here..I also go to school here. I'm in the second grade." I say in a shaky voice ans play with the sand with my feet. 

"You have a nice name. Do you have any friends? Do you have brothers and sisters?" 

"I have one older brother. I don't have a lot of friends...I don't know..Most kids don't like to play with me...they say mean things to me." I start to feel hopeless and another stream of tears fall out of my face. Suddenly he takes my hand and holds them firmly but gently.