I

I laughed looking at my brother from across the dinner table, who was also giggling trying not to spew up the milk he had just drank

I laughed looking at my brother from across the dinner table, who was also giggling trying not to spew up the milk he had just drank. When it starts dripping from his nose I banged my hand on the table, struggling to breath in air.

The white milk streaked down his dark skin as his cheeks were bulged out trying to keep the milk in them.

The shrill of the old house phone went off and I immediately sobered up, my hand laying flat on the old creaky table for two. Mason deflated his cheeks, swallowing the milk that he was desperately trying to hold in earlier.

By the third ring, I stood up, leaving the table and taking three steps over to the kitchen, ignoring Mason's wide eyes peering at me from across the small area as I picked up the phone once its fourth ring shrilled.

Static silence came over the receiver. Sighing through my nose I rolled my eyes. "Mom, is this you."

Silence continually greeted me before I gritted my teeth once a racked cough came through the phone. "Just stay there, I'll come and get you." I slammed the phone down.

It was late, Mason had taken a later nap than usual which is why he was up at 11 at night.

"Alright bud, c'mon you need to go to bed and I gotta go out really quick." He sat up grabbing his bowl of cereal that was now empty and walked over putting it in the sink. He went to grab the step stool to wash his dishes but I picked him up before he could reach it.

"Don't worry about that I'll get it later tonight when I get back." He nodded, laying his head down on my shoulder yawning.

I walked into his room and laid him on the bed. Walking back to the door I almost switched off his light, but his voice called out first.

"Eli," I turned back looking at his little body laying on the twin sized bed we shared. "Can you let Luna in." His dark wide eyes peered at me from under the green comforter.

"Yeah bud, I'll send her in before I go. Now get some sleep, I'll be home when you get up." He nodded and rolled over onto his side.

I walked to the back of the house where my dark grey Pit Bull Terrier stood outside the screen door, patiently peering in waiting to come inside.

"Hey, girl." She stood up, her tail softly wagging as I approached her, opening the door she shimmied in. I patted her head, scratching behind her ears.

Closing the door back, the lock long since broken. "Go get Mason, Luna." She licked my hand before trotting away I listened closely, hearing Marcus whisper her name and the bed squeak as she jumped onto it.

I moved towards the front door, snatching my keys off of the table next to the door. Shutting the door softly I unlocked my navy 2014 Jeep Wrangler. Hopping into the driver's seat I had to try the engine twice before it finally started up on the third try.