XVI

Stopping at the edge of the woods, we looked into the small town

Sighing I looked away, "We're not at our best to go loot right now. The kids and Red need to be somewhere safe before we go running into a town for supplies."

"I'll go then," Cliff spoke up. "We need supplies, I'm fast. I'll go."

"I'll go with," Caspian spoke up, not wanting to part from his twin.

"No," Cliff shook his head. "If they find a house, they'll need your help."

"What if you run into trouble?" Amelia spoke up, even if times have changed for them, I don't think she's stopped caring about him.

"I'll run, I won't have to worry about anyone behind me."

"Alright." I clapped my hand on his shoulder. "Be safe, we're gonna keep heading North, following the trail. We'll stop at noon if you haven't made it back yet."

He nodded, holding his machete in his hands. "I'll be back." Were the last things he said before he took off through the trees to the town.

_____________

"He isn't back," Caspian stated for the fifth time within ten minutes.

"Which is why we stopped." The sun high in the sky was beating down on us as we sat under trees, though the chill in the air let us all know that winter would be upon us soon. Red sat next to me with Jaspers legs in her lap as she was cleaning them, so no infection set into his body. He and Mason were both quiet, something that we weren't used to in a group with two little boys. We were used to chatter, but it hadn't happened since we were run from the house.

"If he's not back in the next hour, Amelia and I will go look for him. He might just be stuck in a store." I told them, noting my watch said it was half past noon.

"He would have been back by now," Caspian muttered, running his hands through his long hair.

"He ran track." Amelia elaborated. "He would have easily caught back up."

"He's just stuck in a store," Caspian whispered to himself, trying to convince himself that that's where his twin was, although his gut was probably telling him otherwise.

He never came back. Amelia and I were packing lightly, hoping that we could get a few things after we found Cliff. Trusty bat in my hand and multiple weapons strapped to both of our bodies, I embraced Red.

"Come back safe, yeah?" Her lips brushed against my neck as I gave her a squeeze.

"You just worry about keeping everyone here safe, yeah?" I mocked her, laughing into her short hair as she shoved my chest pecking my lips as she pulled away.

Mason was hugging my legs, bending down to his level I wrapped him in my arms as he brought his lips to my ear and whispered fervently. "Take care of Red, bud." I smiled down at him as Amelia and I began backtracking the way we just came.