II

3 Weeks After Initial Outbreak

We were struggling. 

I didn't know where I wanted to go, all I knew was that we needed to keep moving. But I didn't want to leave the area I know and be thrust into the real dangers of getting lost. 

3 weeks pass by unbearable slow when it's just you and a three-year-old. It passes by even slower when every night I see the decaying faces I've had to kill as Mason and I traveled into a store or even just to go use the bathroom. 

I haven't been this lost in a long time, but I was. I was lost with no way of seeing where to go. 

It was dark, the stars could be seen from out the window if you looked up. But that would mean acknowledging the moans growing around us. There were a lot of them, suddenly I regretted not parking the jeep closer to the road. But herds could come from any direction, at least I could have driven away. But in the dark, I had no way of maneuvering out of the tightly wound trees. 

We were going to have to ride this one through. 

Ordering Luna to stay down and quiet while they were still far enough away they couldn't pick up on my scent, I used the blanket that Mason and I shared and draped it over my body, the windows had been rolled up as soon as I heard them. 

Even with the cooler weather outside, it was becoming stuffy inside the car. Hopefully, they would pass soon. 

Settling down, I watched the steady rise and fall of Mason's chest as he curled up in the passenger seat, his face lightly smeared with the chocolate he had as we drove.  Dried tears were on his tanned, dirty face. 

He cried himself to sleep every night. 

He didn't understand what was happening, but he knew it was something bad. He couldn't watch TV anymore or play outside like he did before, he was stuck in a car all day and night. It wasn't fair, but it was the only way I could keep him alive.

As the car began to rock as the dead pushed against it, the horde moving through the woods at a steady pace, looking for anything they could sink their yellowing teeth in as soon as their hollow eyes locked onto them. 

Masons eyes shot open as the groaning got louder, they were disturbed the Jeep being in their path. His brown eyes were wide and haunted as he whimpered. He opened his mouth but at the sharp shake of my head, he closed it. 

Slightly lifting the blanket, I motioned for him to come over. He slowly crawled into my arms, Luna watching us carefully from her spot in the back. Her eyes wary and alert as she stayed silent.