LI

            I wasn't sure how long we stayed underground.

They called themselves Tunnelers, they were working on expanding their cave-like home that was only accessible through the single tunnel that brought us here. The constant darkness through my body for a loop as I struggled to know when I was supposed to sleep and when I was supposed to get up.

I didn't socialize with their group, I let Harry do that as Amelia was still recovering with her baby girl. I couldn't bring myself to go and look at her, at either of them. I had glued myself to Mason's bedside. He wakes up for hours at a time before falling back asleep, his body exhausted and trying to heal as much as it could before it was going to be forced to move again.

It couldn't have been more than two weeks we had been there when I was slowly scooping the lumpy potatoes into my mouth. I wasn't hungry, but I knew I needed to eat in order to continue nourishing my body for the trip I would be pushing onto it.

We were close, a day's trip if I pushed up to continue going. Which I was going to. The not knowing was killing me.

I looked up as the sudden clomping boots stopped in front of my seat as I glumly looked up.

"What?" I grumbled to the four men and three women who nervously shifted on their feet in front of me as I shoveled more of the cold food into my mouth, barely chewing before forcing it down my throat.

The woman in the back spoke up when no one else did, her short brown hair tied back with a bandana, the very thing that I kept my eyes directly away from. "Harry told us of where you are going. We would like to join you if you'll have us." My jaw ticked as I narrowed my eyes at the group.

Her voice was soft, but she didn't stutter regardless as she spoke her wished. I clenched the spoon in my hand as I caught the man in question leaving from the large room.

I got up, my chair scraping against the dirt as I stalked past them.

"Is that a yes?" A man whispered to the group as I continued forward.

My jaw tickled as the rage was building in me. The rage that was slowly consuming my entire body. "It sure as Hell wasn't a no." The same woman spoke up and their shoes shuffled away from in front of my table.

I stalked after the curly-haired man with an accent. He knew what I was feeling. It was plainly obvious from the way I had been avoiding everyone.

"Harry." He paused at the sound of my voice. "What the Hell do you think you're doing?"

His shoulders slumped before he turned on his heel. "They don't want to be here Eli." He looked gaunt. We all did, the lack of sunlight was daunting.

It was beginning to make us look like ghosts.

"You can't keep running from your duties." My fingers were curled in his shirt before I could even realize what I was doing.

"You don't get to tell me what I get to do. I never signed up for this. I only did this for Isla, with her. I can't do this on my own." He scoffed as he glared at me.

"You're an idiot, mate. You've been doing it this entire time." I pulled him closer to me, my teeth grinding.

"Look at where we are."

He grinned, a silly smile coming onto his face. "Alive."

I let go of him and left, going to see Mason. I could hear the soft cries of Amelia and Wolfes baby from the next door over, but I ignored it as I entered the room. My own shoulders slumping at the sight of Mason still laying in the bed, his eyes shut as his chest slowly rose and fell.

We were just waiting for him to wake up before we could leave.

It was a waiting game.

One that I was tired of playing.

"C'mon bud," I brushed his long, frizzy curls back. "I need you to wake up." I pushed my lips against his forehead before sighing and leaning back against the chair that I had become well accustomed to.

We're coming Red, I leaned my head against my fist as I sighed. We're on our way, don't forget about us.

"Eli," My eyes popped open at Amelia's voice, I hadn't even heard her coming. "Can you watch the baby for a moment?"

She looked exhausted and sweat was beading along my forehead as she shuffled into the room, holding the bundle of blankets in her arms.

"Can't Harry watch her?" My voice was tight as I was rigid in the chair, my eyes briefly flashing over to Masons still form.

"Please Eli, he's sleeping. I need to wash up, I don't want anyone else watching her." She looked so much like Red did after she had Ember. It made my heart clench at the onslaught of memories.

I didn't get to say another word as she placed the baby in my arms and shuffled out of the room. Looking relieved to be able to have a few moments of peace from the tiny thing squirming in my arms.

This felt wrong. This is what Wolfe should be doing, not me.

My heart stuttered at the sight of the baby in my arms. Her complexion matched her mothers, the dark hair matching her fathers. It reminded me of what Ember looked like when she was just a small baby.

My finger ran across her cheek as her lips pulled up before opening in a small yawn.

"Were gonna get you home to your Dad, don't worry." The baby blinked lazily before a soft groan from Mason had my head snapping up at the sight of him wearily blinking his own eyes open.

"Dad?" My chest tightened as I grinned.

"Hey bud, how you feelin'?" I clutched his hand in one of my own while still holding onto the baby.

"I hurt," I helped him drink the glass of water that sat beside me. "When are we going to see Momma?"

"As soon as you feel better." He forced a grin on his face that looked more like a grimace. "I'm better, promise."

"Is that Melia's baby?"

I grinned, showing him the baby in my arms as she yawned again. "Sure is, she's cute huh?"

"We gotta go home." His brows creased together as I nodded.

"We're going home right now bud." And I meant every word. Now that Mason was awake and responsive, I was going to push for us to move. I wanted to be at the water's edge in two days' time.

I was going to see Red within 48 hours, whether it's the Red I want to see or not.