XVIII

Red wouldn't stop talking to the woman as we walked through the tents back to where everyone was waiting for us

I didn't mind it so much, Mason walked by her side hanging onto every word she rambled on about herself as the woman was amused as well. But my Red, even in her tired, worn down state, with bones sticking to her arms but a protruding stomach and knotted curly hair, she was beautiful. 

My feet traveled on their own accord, following the three of them as Red and the woman spoke to each other quietly, not wanting to disturb anyone.

Greeting the rest of our group that we parted from Red started introducing Sara to everyone. Looking past the group in front of me, I could see two lone men sitting in front of a fire that they built in front of their tent, their heads were low as they stayed silent.

"If you follow me then I can show you to the doctor," The light smile on her face as she began to walk forward, the nine of us began to trek forward, the two canines pressed closely to Mason and Red.

We wove through close quarters as tents were everywhere. As Sara still talked to the group now, I let my eyes wander taking in everything.

It looked as if everyone stayed mainly in the tents, except for the few RVs parked in the back, the only way in or out seemed to be the rope ladder, but that couldn't be right. They couldn't have just ladders accessible to all these people if an outbreak happened while we were in here.

I didn't like the growing pit in my stomach.

"I think Ben said that they said got an ultrasound machine at one point." My ears perked up as Sara talked. "He isn't sure how well it works though, everyone who was pregnant had already given birth at that point."

"Does it take pictures?" Mason piped up, eager to learn anything about the baby he could.

"Even if it doesn't, we have a Polaroid camera for these purposes." She smiled at Mason as we entered a brief clearing, walking across the dying grass to a smaller RV than the others surrounding it.

She knocked briefly before pulling the door open. "Ben?" She called inside as she ushered us in. It was a tight squeeze, but eventually, we were all inside. Red sitting on my lap with Mason between her legs as Wolfe was standing close next to Amelia, the rest of the group scattered around, not wanting to get in the way.

"Honey," We heard a low voice call from the side of the RV that was blocked with a door. "Dear is that you?" He pulled the door open, the dark circles standing out under his eyes as he looked at our group in wonder, even the dogs had managed to squeeze their way in. Not willing to get left behind.

"Oh, you brought friends." He smiled just as warmly as she had been. His eyes were accessing us though, taking in our injuries.

He took in all of us, his eyes pausing only for a moment at my scar, the healing wound across Caspian's face, Javier's stump, and landing last on Reds stomach, his eyes staying there for a few moments. "You all look like you've been through hell," He tried cracking a smile again, but the severity of his words shook us to the core.