V

Pulling the Jeep off to the side of the road, the truck pulled in ahead of me

Pulling the Jeep off to the side of the road, the truck pulled in ahead of me. Red immediately hopping out, stretching her cramped limbs.

Groaning, she cracked her neck. "How long have we been driving?" She asks, peering through the windshield looking at Mason who was coloring.

"Had to of been at least 7 hours, maybe 8?" She was still stretching as I let Luna out, so she could do her business. We had left once the sun began to set, it was still dark out being very early in the morning.

We both had to stop once to fuel up, but the little amount we had left we burned through with having two vehicles now. We were going to need gas, and soon.

"Javier still asleep?" I asked as she leaned against the Jeep, rubbing her eyes. I kept a close eye on Luna with the little light provided from the both of our headlights.

"Snoring like a baby." She rolled her eyes when we refueled she had Javier, who was falling asleep at the wheel into the passenger seat; where he immediately passed out before we even finished fueling. "I'm surprised little guys still up." She smiled, nodding to Mason.

"Yeah," I chuckled, ruffling my unruly hair. "We both don't sleep well in cars. Especially after not having to sleep in it on the road so many times."

She grimaced, taking the double meaning behind my words as she nodded. "The faster we get to D.C. the better." Her grin lit up her face in the dim light. Her curls tossed over her hair messily, piercing gleaming against the artificial light.

Luna's growling tore my gaze away from her face. She was standing at the edge of the road, hackles raised. The familiar heart dropping moaning and groaning had the both of us standing up straight.

"Time to go." I clipped. "We need gas soon. If I see one I'll stop." I gave a short whistle, opening the door as Luna darted into the car as the first dead shambled from the woods.

"Good, we're teetering on E." She called back half in the truck as she revved it back to life.

I had kept the Jeep running, not wanting to risk it not turning back on. "Eli, they're coming." Masons soft voice whispering had me putting the car in drive.

"Don't worry, they can't get us in here." Pulling in front of the truck, we avoided abandoned cars driving down the lone road, the dead pulling their deteriorating bodies behind them.

"But they almost did, once," Mason said, flipping through his coloring book as he pets Luna's dark fur.

Clenching my jaw, I let out a long breath through my nose. Yea, they almost did.

-

Deep in my thoughts, I realized we had taken a wrong turn once I saw the sign as we entered Montgomery, Alabama. We had been on the road for a while and I had gotten the idea that we made a wrong turn some time back.