VI

The drive became increasingly frustrating

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

The drive became increasingly frustrating. Having to make multiple stops to push cars out of the way, Mason threw up from eating two candy bars on an empty stomach and began sobbing because I had told him he could only have one. Red was the only one able to console him, the candy came into the front with me after that.

Yelling out I hit the wheel with my fist as we turned the corner, coming to another stop at the large mass of cars piled in the middle of the country road. Luna's collar jangled as she perked up at my anger.

"I need to go potty." Masons voice brought me out of my anger filled haze.

Putting the car in park, I jogged around the car pulling Mason out of his car seat letting Luna jump out as Javier and Red were getting out of the truck, Vivian still asleep in the back from when Red switched with Javier last time we stopped.

"Another roadblock." Red scrunched her nose at the thought of having to push multiple more cars through the road, her palms already scorched and blistered from the scorching metal.

"Yeah, this ones gotta use the bathroom." I gestured down to Mason, who was softly bouncing in his spot.

"Me too, bud. Let's go piss." Mason went walking forward taking Javier's outstretched hand, Luna following obediently behind.

"What's piss mean?" Mason's small voice asked as I shook my head smiling, Reds jaw dropping in shock as Javier laughed.

"Well help once we finish." I nodded in reply, walking toward the 6 cars that were piled up.

Needing only one side of the road, we avoided the side that had a minivan full of dead. Turning away from the small, grey faces straining against the buckles of their car seats.

Red and I worked silently, making sure that the doors were unlocked before pulling the front door open and jerking the wheel all the way to the right before the both of us pushed the back of the car.

Javier and Mason came back with Luna trotting in front of them after we cleared two cars. They worked on looting through the cars in front of us as I pat Luna on the head as she briefly paused by me; seeking approval.

Mason was straining into the back seat of a car as Javier was digging through the trunk, not finding much except for a few clothing items as Red pulled open the driver's door before letting out a shrill shriek jerking back. Falling onto her back as the hand grasping her ankle didn't let go.

Mason immediately curled into a ball against the car, Luna pushing against him, Javier jerked up slamming his head against the trunk, as I panicked.

None of us had grabbed our weapons as there were no dead beside the one in the minivan. Choking up I stumbled forward, slamming the toe of my shoe against its writs. The person crying out as the hand retreated.

Pulling Red up, I immediately checked her over. Stopping at her hands where the blisters were popped open from hitting the ground. Javier snatched the hand up from under the car, yanking the blonde hair malnourished teenager from under the car.