XXXI

I didn't let my mind wander to what was happening back at camp

I didn't let my mind wander to what was happening back at camp. I didn't let my mind wanted to the wet spots on Reds shirt. I didn't look at Javier's battered body from our first escape plan failing.

It was a stupid plan. We were stupid. The plan we had worked on was stupid.

And Jav was paying the price for it.

I was squatting, up knees bent awkwardly as my knees were bent painfully as my scarred fingers were pinched around the nail that was keeping the chains bolted to the wall. As I was pulling relentlessly against the chains, my voice screaming for them to leave him along, I realized that the nail was loose as I bruised my wrists against the shackles around my wrists.

My fingers barely could reach the nail as my wrist was painfully pulled back. I had to keep a keen ear out for any possible footsteps approaching.

My fingers were bleeding, no doubt going to add more scars to my gnarled hands. I wasn't going to let this happen again, not to my family.

I was done with being the nice guy and letting people get away with everything. Not this time. They went too far. I was getting my revenge, for what they did when they took us and for everything they did to me all those years ago.

I was going to get my revenge, and nothing was going to stop me from it.

"Holy shit." I gasped when my hand suddenly fell, my left hand numb as it was tingling painfully, the blood rushing into it as it fell.

I clasped my mouth shut in fear of being heard. My hands were trembling, my shackled hands tied together in my lap. The lone nail was still in my bloody grip.

Oh God, what was I going to do?

My eyes were wide as my mouth gaped open.

I actually got free.

I jerked myself up, the sudden shock over as I stumbled my way over to Jav, checking his breathing. Thankfully the shallow breathing was steady.

Unsteadily I limped over to Red, my legs still shaky. "Baby," I whispered, my eyes wide as I could hear footsteps in the distance.

"Eli," She whispered, her eyes fluttering open. "How, how did you get out?"

"I'm going to have to do something." She could see the determination in my eyes. "Once I do, we have to be ready to go." She nodded shakily, her eyes sunken in as she blinked wearily.

The nail was still gripped in my fingers. As I stepped away from her. My legs wobbled as I stood just behind the door, waiting for the door to swing open and another one of the guys to walk into the room to check up on us.

A.K.A make sure none of us were dead and turned into the dead.

My breaths were coming out harsh as I gripped the nail in my hand, I was prepared. We needed to go, the baby needed Red. I needed to make sure they weren't all dead and chewed up. Just the thought of it had heart stuttering painfully in my chest.