XIV

I was in a half-conscious state, the feeling I would get right before I woke up

I was in a half-conscious state, the feeling I would get right before I woke up. The warmth of the bed was attempting to lull me back into a dreamless sleep, much as it had been since I had the dream of Red so long ago.

The sound of a shout resounded through the house bolting up I was halfway out of the bed when the shots sounded.

Glass shattering, the whizzing of bullets. Sounds were heightened as screams bounced off the walls of the house within the close confinement.

Red was up from the bed and slinging her pack on her back, following her lead I grabbed my own bag and duffel, slipping them both onto my back and grabbing her hand.

Tugging her behind me we entered the hallways, were Masons sleep filled gaze met my own. Taking his hand in my other, we could hear the feet pounding downstairs as Caspian was yelling. "Let's go!"

As we swiftly made our way down the hall, I could hear the scuttling on nails on the floorboard. Keeping the dogs on the bottom floor had been a good idea. We wouldn't have had enough time to get all of them down otherwise.

The bag was slapping against Mason's thighs, the sound resonating throughout the hall as we made it to the landing. Letting go of their hands, having to pry my hand away from Masons I leaped off of the top of the nonexistent staircase.

Landing on the soles of my feet, the bags on my back trying to push me down to the ground with the momentum they still had. Turning, ignoring the sound of groaning and gunshots from just outside, I held onto Reds thighs, helping her down and she took off to the back door, knowing we would follow.

Mason jumped into my arms as soon as I held them out, launching himself to safety. Setting him down he took off behind Red, where everyone was running to the hidden cars.

I could faintly make out the silhouettes of Javier and Vivian beyond Red, gunshots still sailing through the front of the house.

A bullet whizzed past me, the air fluttering my eyelashes had me spurring into action.

Why had Mason stopped running?

Darting forward, I snatched Mason into my arms as he had unlatched the last of the outdoor cages, the animals scattering with us towards the woods.

Passing the second gated fence that we had added within our time here, I almost lost my footing from the sheer amount of the dead stumbling around. Mason was clutching my bag as we narrowly avoided a decaying arm reaching out to the two of us.

My bat was in the weapons duffel bag on my back, avoiding the snapping teeth, I used my free arm and shoved the dead back against its chest, hitting one of its friends behind it they both snarled as they fell to the ground.

Reds yelp standing out against all of the noise had me scanning the area as I kept moving. Gunshots were continuously whizzing by us, never stopping for a second. Dead shambling around than what could have possibly of gotten here from the sounds of the gunshots.