XIX

Amelia and I were tense the next morning, the both of us constantly glancing over our shoulders

Amelia and I were tense the next morning, the both of us constantly glancing over our shoulders. I looked around the area their tent had been set up that was just gone now. No blood on the ground, no suspicious dragging, nothing at all.

But I know what I saw last night. They killed those two men and are doing who knows what now. They killed those two boys who were seemingly afraid of their shadow.

But what if they were so afraid because they saw what happened, explaining why they were so jumpy. What if they knew, just like we knew now.

Meeting Amelia's eyes, I jerked my head to the side. We needed to cool it, they were going to catch onto the fact that we knew something if we continued the way we were. I ignored Reds curious eyes as Vivian was packing up a bag as well, much to Javier's displeasure.

We were going on a run, originally Amelia was going to come with, but after last night, she's staying here where I can be sure that everyone else will be okay.

Because they were the ones we needed to be okay, if anything happened to Red or Mason, I don't know what I would do. Especially if it was at the hands of these people.

Mason was leaning against Reds legs as she ran her hands over her stomach. Her face was pinched, showing me the pain that she was trying to hide from the rest. Glancing back, watching Vivian saying goodbye to Javier, I made my way towards Red.

"What's wrong?" I wrapped my hand around her back, snaking it around her waist.

She sighed as she leaned back against me, her curls damp close to her face. "Braxton Hicks," She muttered, tensing as she held onto her grown stomach.

"Again?" My brows furrowed as I leaned my chin on her shoulder, practice contractions were becoming more frequent, making everyone nervous, which is why she probably was trying to hide it.

Hesitantly, I ran my hand over her stomach, feeling the tense muscles clenching as she held my hand against her stomach, moving it in running circles across the tightly bound skin.

"You have to leave soon." She sighed heavily through her nose, pressing back against me more.

"I'll be back," I murmured against her skin as I turned my head, breathing in her scent as I peppered her skin with light kisses.

"I know," She unwound herself from my arms, before tilting her head back. "Be safe." She murmured, giving me a chaste kiss on the lips before she hauled Mason into her arms and the two went back to the tent.

She was watching as I walked to Amelia, her nervous eyes met my own. Her glasses slightly crooked on her face as the frames had broken at some point in time.

Brushing my long hair behind an ear, I lowered myself slightly looking Amelia in the eyes. I was done with my days of threats, reminding me so much of the people I ran from. I wasn't going to threaten my own people, it didn't make them strive to protect the people they needed to. No, they needed something to fight for.