XII

Javier's loud shuffling brought me from my slumber as he made his way onto his shift, letting Vivian be relieved and get some sleep in their shared room

It had been months since that night on the roof, over a year if Reds calendar on the wall in the kitchen said anything. It had begun snowing again, cold throughout the past month.

A lot was different since the last winter we encountered. Food became scarce, with Aubrey's information we successfully grew enough food to keep us sustained. On a run that Red and I went on while Javier was still healing, we found a feed store a few states away. Garden boxes littered the front of the improved fenced yard. In the back held an apple and peach tree that were a pleasant surprise to us when they began dropping fruit.

Bushes that we had dug up from the forest now lined the backyard's fence, and on either side of the back door were pins with rabbits and chickens. While they kept us fed, we also hunted in the woods for food.

The ball of fur by my feet shifted, moving closer to his owner, who was lying next to me laying her redhead on my arm.

Hero was found on the run to the same feed store, as we were leaving having found plenty of seeds and supplies to get us going on sustaining ourselves we saw a dead devouring a dog from the side of the building.

Red had swiftly hit it with the side of her machete, the blade lodging itself in the side of its head. Dragging it off the body she zoned out staring down at the dead Shepard whose pink collar still laid around its ripped throat. Stepping closer to the dog, she nudged it with her foot. Gasping at the sight of the young puppy desperately trying to drink milk from its dead mother.

She had started to cry, something that wasn't as common as it had been after they were taken. She held the dog onto the ground, squirming, ready to put it out of its misery.

That was when I stepped in, taking the young dog within my own arms, its whines dying off when I placed it within Reds hold.

"We can't take it, Eli," She sobbed, the words ringing clear throughout my mind as if it were happening at this moment.

"We can, why can't we. We have one, what's another? Plus, it might do everyone good to have some positivity right now. I can train it like I did with Luna."

"It's another mouth to feed." She tried arguing but I cut her off.

"Don't worry about that right now."

"It'll need milk." She tried again as I just smiled.

"Looks about old enough to eat solids." She went to fight me again, but I talked over her. "Red, just be in the moment, right now, please."

And she cut me off as she did just live in the moment and quieted me with a kiss. The first kiss we shared.

I think the both of us grinned the entire way home. My words rang true as Hero was just as obedient as Luna.