XXXV

It was my turn to pull the wagon, still in front; handle gripped tight in one hand, slick with sweat, as the other carried my bat in a firm grip

            It was my turn to pull the wagon, still in front; handle gripped tight in one hand, slick with sweat, as the other carried my bat in a firm grip. My back still loaded down with supplies as we trudged on down the thankfully deserted road. We were staying quiet to not deal with any of the dead that may be attracted to the noise we were making with traveling alone.

The wagon was filled to the brim with four children and supplies. Sarina and Angie were quietly reading and playing with a set of dolls that we were given at Failsafe. Mason was forced into a reclining position as Ember napped on him, a blanket covering her to protect her from the sun's rays. His face was pinched as he watched over the sides of the wagons with a serious look on his face.

He had been walking beside me for most of the morning, but when he started to lag behind I had him get into the wagon when we stopped for a break. There was no use in wearing yourself down to the bone to prove a point. And when I told him that he just looked away, his cheeks coloring.

Red told me not to go too hard on him, he was trying to prove that he wasn't a child and he could help. It made me just want to shake him and tell him to enjoy being a kid while he could. We were going to have a lot to do when we reached our potential home.

Glancing over my shoulder at the subject of my thoughts, I found the three children bent close together, whispering softly. It had my brow furrowing, where children who grew up in this environment so affected by their surroundings that mundane toys and trinkets didn't keep them busy?

I understood that they were kept busy most of the day learning how to survive and were always working in Failsafe. Maybe its just the way kids are going to grow up.

I turned forward again, forcing my legs forward, pushing against the familiar strain as I fought against my body to keep the same steady pace up.

We couldn't afford to slow down.

The older kids were struggling to match the pace we set, we couldn't slow down for them, not for anyone. Calling for a break at the sight of their bright red faces, I felt bad my heart clenching.

We left the wagon on the road, the kids jumping from it as Mace waited patiently as Red came and took Ember from his chest, rocking the slowly awakening girl.

Everyone sat down, resting in the short break that we would have. We didn't necessarily break into smaller groups, not like how Failsafe had it. We all stuck together, merging into a large somewhat circle under the shade of the trees.

Sitting neighbors were leaned against. Exhausted, sweaty bodies pressing against each other, yet no one made a sound.

Red was feeding Ember, her eyes closed as Mason sat next to her, divvying up food for us to share, his hands faltered for a second as he stared down at the five pieces to the granola bar that he broke up before placing the two extra pieces with the smaller of the portions.