XIII

Sitting in the quiet of the cozy room, as Mason still insistently called it, eyes jumped to the scar imbedded in my face, Javs stump, to Reds bulging stomach, and the small boys who were eying each other up

My eyes flashed to Javier's, words were passed without anyone having to open their lips between both of the groups. Between both of the groups, Amelia the girl with the bow was eying the twins; Caspian and Cliff. The older woman, Autumn, eyes still flashed between the three of us.

She broke the silence, "Did that happen before or after?" She asked, her eyes planted nervously on the scar that marred the left side of my face.

"Before," I responded, moving my eyes to Reds.

Her eyes flitted to Javier's arm, or what was left of the arm.

"After," He grunted, leaning his elbows on his knees looking at the carpeted ground.

No one needed to ask about Red, it was obvious.

"How many of the dead have you killed?" Red asked, breaking the awkward silence, hand resting on her growing bump.

The group before us still, not realizing that us asking them that was basically an into our group. You just had to get through the questions.

They looked nervously at one another before the Autumn spoke up again, lips quivering as she whispered into the still air. "Just one."

And I was willing to bed that I could pinpoint exactly who it was by the ring still on her finger and no one sitting beside her and the boy, Jasper.

Jasper looked confused at the thought of having to kill one, why he would need to. The look on the three others faces told me that they've been protecting the group for as long as they've been together.

Which had my lips pulling down.

Everyone needed a part in living within the new world. And Autumn and Jasper were slacking in helping protect their own.

"That'll have to change," I spoke up, startling the group across from me.

"Everyone here," I gestured to everyone sitting beside me and hanging out behind us. "We all work together. All of us." I stressed.

"We fight, split up looting. It all works because we do it all together, as a family."

Red clutched onto my hand. Even though she was pregnant, and Mason was a child, Javier a cripple. We all have had to adapt to fight for our lives.

The past year had changed the lot of us. We weren't naïve anymore, we've had to grow.

"Have you killed anyone?" The lot of them looked appalled at the thought, except one. The girl with the bow, Amelia.

"Didn't have time to." She spoke up constantly. Looking as if she could kill someone right now if given the chance to.

"Why," Javier spoke up, lifting his eyes from the ground.