Chapter Fifteen: The truth may set you free

Sam flipped

“Mr. Monroe, stop, he loves her, and she loves him. They didn’t start seeing each other until after she turned eighteen. This situation was my fault; Paul followed me here, if you want to hit anyone, hit me!”

Sam was holding Ethan’s head as Mr. Monroe stood shaking his fists. Mrs. Monroe was standing beside her husband holding his shoulders. “Sam is right Christian; this is not the time nor the place, and you have been blaming us enough as it is!” Mrs. Monroe ended on a sob.

Mr. Monroe turned and said, “Well, it is our fault; we haven’t seen her in two years! My, God, you heard her; she thinks she’s alone; she wants to die. This idiot broke her heart; we didn’t even know she had a boyfriend,” he stopped on a moan.

Ethan began to come around as Sam helped him sit up a bruise was already forming on his face. Sam helped Ethan into a chair as Mr. Monroe glared daggers at him. Sam saw the look on Candy’s dad's face and decided the truth was best.    

“Mr. Monroe you shouldn’t blame Mr. Frost for this, Candy and I had a plan.”

“What plan, Samantha?”    

“Candy’s heart was broken when Brian, and his toady friends made fun of her; Mr. Frost tried to use sarcasm to make them feel ashamed but Candy took his words for truth.”

Sam looked to Candy’s mom and said, “Do you remember when she wanted to go to the spa that was the reason she wanted to go. She was going to break all the boys hearts one by one. She started with Mr. Frost, while trying to woo Brian, I was still over in Europe while she was putting her plan into practice. She called me, and I coached her. This whole mess was my fault,” she ended on a sob.

Mrs. Monroe stood and hugged Sam, “It is no one fault, Sam.”

“But it is, it is. Candy told me she wanted to stop, that she liked Mr. Frost and wasn’t sure she could go out with Brian, but I made her do it and that was when Paul met her! Candy warned me he was staring at her, and I thought she was jealous, I told her I hated her. Candy fell in love with Mr. Frost and I know he loves her. However, I told her, he may be stringing her along. Please don’t be angry with Candy or Mr. Frost,” she gasped.                

“No one is angry with anyone right, Christian?” his wife asked.

He looked into his wife’s eyes and knew what she was saying he had met her as well when he was a visiting lecturer in her freshman year of college while she was modeling to pay her tuition. He had seen her in the class and wanted her immediately; he came back to lecture once a week just to see her; he had wooed her and married her. He still felt the love inside of him that he felt the day she said she would marry him. Candy’s boyfriend had the same look of longing on his face that he saw in the mirror when he almost lost his wife.

He nodded his head and sat stone faced at Ethan, and then he asked, “Do you love my daughter or was her confession on that video feed right?”

“I love her more than my own life, sir. I made a huge mistake by not believing her when she tried to tell me the truth. I hope to make amends with her and ask her to marry me,” he stopped at the catch in his voice.

Candy’s dad stared at him for a moment; he was a shark of a business man and could size a man up in a matter of minutes, within a few words, and he saw nothing but regret and loathing in the other man’s eyes.

“Did you know young man; that Candy is scheduled to have access to a trust fund that will make her the wealthiest teenager in the world, that she will gain one point two billion dollars?”