one of those days

Summary: Dan wakes up feeling depressed, and Phil helps him through the day.

TRIGGER WARNING: depression

"Dan!" Phil called, his voice carrying up the stairs of their apartment.

He was still in his pajamas, as he had only woken up half an hour ago, and his raven black hair was pushed back in a quiff. His glasses were balanced on his nose and his eyebrows furrowed in worry. Phil frowned as he stared down into his bowl of dry cereal. It was Dan's cereal, as usual, and he had been anticipating the moment when his best friend would come downstairs and scold him for taking his cereal yet again. He would never admit it to Dan, but he felt a strange kind of pleasure seeing Dan playfully shout at him. He loved it when Dan tried to seem angry, but his lips would stretch into that beautiful smile again, and he'd just end up laughing, a sound that made Phil's heart swell with warmth.

He and Dan had a habit of waiting for each other to wake up so they could watch anime together and eat breakfast, and seeing as Dan was a night owl, it wasn't strange for him to wake up late. However he didn't usually wake up much later than Phil did, and there was something about the stillness in the air that worried the blue eyed man. When Dan entered a room you could tell. Even though he was awkward and anxious in social situations, he had this aura that just made everything seem brighter. Maybe it was just Phil but something felt off. The apartment was never this quiet. Not like this.

"Dan?" Phil shouted, a little more anxiously as he approached the staircase. Still no answer. The silence was beginning to become unnerving, and Phil could feel the fear start to set in. He quickly rushed up the stairs, his worry over his best friend growing with every step. As he reached Dan's closed door, he slowed down, proceeding with caution. He gently knocked on the door, leaning forward to catch any sound from inside.

"Dan can I come in?"

There was a soft hum of approval that Phil could just barely make out. He hurriedly pushed open the door, and ran inside the dark room, squinting his eyes. He collapsed on Dan's bed, just next to his huddled form under the covers. Phil could just see the top of Dan's curly head and as gently as he could, he peeled the covers away to see Dan's tear streaked face. His beautiful brown eyes were puffy, and clear crystal like drops decorated his eyelashes. His lips were slightly chapped, and he stared straight ahead with an empty and sad gaze. Without having to ask, Phil immediately knew it was one of Dan's bad days. The days where his depression took over his entire mind and body, and he could barely get out of bed.

"Oh, Dan." Phil sighed, brushing a few strands of Dan's hair across his forehead. He wished more than anything that he could take this pain away from him. He wished he could bear the burden instead of Dan, beautiful Dan, who he loved so much.

Phil pulled the covers away from Dan's body, and gently wrapped his long, pale arms around Dan's softly sloping shoulders. Everything about Dan was soft and gentle. His neck arched softly into his shoulders which sloped down and into his arms. Arms the rested against his torso which curved into his waist and into his long and slender legs. His skin was pale, but somehow slightly golden brown, and his hair fell in gentle waves across his head. Phil could spend eternity admiring his beauty, and telling him everything he loved about him. He pulled the brown haired man into his chest, resting his chin on his shoulder and watching Dan's chest rise and fall.

"I'm right here Dan," Phil whispered softly against his ear. "I'm not going anywhere. I promise, I will never leave you. You're my entire world."

Phil felt something warm and wet on his arm, and he realized with surprise that Dan was crying.

"Phil..." he whispered, his voice laced with pain and sadness.

"Shh..." Phil gently rocked Dan back and forth, kissing the side of his head. "Don't worry. I'm going to take care of you okay?"

Dan couldn't find the strength to speak, so he just nodded. Phil smiled sadly.

"Do you want to watch anime and cuddle?"

Dan nodded again, and Phil swiftly stood up, holding out a hand for Dan to take. Dan slid his fingers through Phil's, and Phil pulled him up, placing an arm around his shoulders and drawing him close. They walked slowly down the stairs together, and Phil gently sat Dan down on their couch. Phil grabbed them both a bowl of cereal and set them down on the table in their living room. He wrapped a blanket around Dan and his shoulders, and put on Free! Iwatobi Swim Club.

He held Dan in his arms, and tangled their legs together, bringing him close to his side. They spend the day relaxing at home, watching anime, and snuggling together under a blanket. Every few hours Phil would make Dan eat something light and remind him of how much he loved him and a reason why. When night came, they both fell asleep tangled together in Phil's bed. When Dan had a nightmare and woke up screaming, Phil was there to comfort him. And in the morning Dan woke up with a smile on his face and Phil by his side, knowing that Phil would always be there for him. And he would forever be there for Phil.

A/N: Hello! Thank you so so so much for reading, please leave comments telling me your thoughts and feelings. I love you all so much! You're beautiful you don't need to change one thing. Take care of yourselves, be kind to yourselves, and treat yourselves because you're special and you're worth it. Don't forget to eat and stay hydrated!