pretty picnic

Summary: Inspired and based off a cute scene from my favorite k drama Strong Girl Bong Soon. Some of the dialogue is my own and some is from the show.

TRIGGER WARNINGS: none

Dan hummed nervously to himself as he looked through the clothing hanging in his closet. He ran through them with his hands, twisting his bottom lip between his teeth and constantly glancing at the time on his phone to make sure he still had enough of it.

He was nervous.

He didn't really know why he was so nervous. He'd been on dates with Phil before. But he really really loved him. So much. So even though they'd been dating for months now, every time Phil asked him out, butterflies fluttered in his stomach, and his heart stumbled.

He never ceased to surprise him, and just when Dan was sure he couldn't possibly love him any more, he did something utterly adorable that had him falling all over again.

He felt incredibly lucky to have met him, as Phil was not just his boyfriend, but his bestest friend in the entire world. It was his goal to marry him and spend eternity with him. He couldn't imagine it any other way, and maybe that was slightly unhealthy, but Dan just had a gut feeling that they would last forever.

That didn't make him any less scared of doing something wrong, or scaring Phil away, and it didn't make him any less eager to impress him or blow him away with a great clothing choice.

So he pulled various outfits out, laying them across his pastel pink bed sheets, and holding up bright sweaters, cardigans, button up shirts, and light blue jeans in front of his body, shaking his head in the mirror when he wasn't satisfied with what he saw.

"Is this too much for a picnic?" He wondered aloud as he held up a blue and white checkered shirt with pretty ruffles on the sleeves.

He hummed thoughtfully, still not quite pleased with his look. Then suddenly an idea came to mind. He briefly wondered if it was too much, if Phil would think he was trying too hard, but he quickly shook the thought away. Phil said he looked beautiful in anything. And he wanted to wear it. He really did. So for once he didn't let his insecurities get the best of him, and he pulled out the outfit he'd been dying to wear for almost a year now.

He set it on the bed, pairing it with his favorite pair of white sandals before grabbing his fluffy turquoise towel and a wash cloth and heading to the bathroom to take a shower.

He let the warm water wash over his hair and skin, looking at his bare stomach and thighs and for once not feeling disgusted. He remembered the first time he and Phil...um...you know. He remembered the way Phil's warm hands ran over them, and he pressed soft lingering kisses to his glowing skin, whispering the prettiest words into the warm air.

Beautiful.

He remembered it, remembered the exact way it fell from Phil's lips, and the way it brought tears to his eyes, and in that moment, he truly believed it. He looked down at his stomach and thighs under the downpour, and he whispered,

"Beautiful."

And he really believed it.

When he stepped out of the shower, his honey skin was glowing, his light brown, crescent shaped curls damp and darkened, hanging around his head and tousled around his ears. His chocolate colored eyes, decorated with hues of gold and hazel, and framed by long, dark lashes, had a new light behind them that was barely ever seen. A light that only Phil seemed to be able to bring.

He walked back into his bedroom, bare feet brushing against the soft white carpeting, and shuffled over to his bed. He looked down at the outfit with a smile, giggling as he glanced at the mirror.