the fault in our stars

Summary: Dan starts crying on a plane while reading The Fault in Our Stars.

TRIGGER WARNINGS: spoilers

Dan's slightly sun kissed fingers curled around the yellowing, crisp pages of his book, warm, rich chocolate brown eyes focused on the inked words with a tragic desire, shifting between golds and burgundies as they pooled with heart wrenching sadness.

Come on Dan, this is no place to cry, he scolded himself, subconsciously leaning further into Phil's warmth and intoxicating scent, attempting to lose himself in the boy next to him, especially seeing as they were on a plane and there was nowhere for him to go. He shoved the uncomfortable knot forming just above his collarbones back down, unraveling the tangled mess of growing emptiness and grief. He scoffed at himself. Was it even possible to feel such deep grief for a book character? He supposed so, because his heart was pulsing with a fresh ache, thrumming against his rib cage as though attempting to escape the painful void threatening to swallow it. He gasped sharply, holding a palm over his plush lips, redder than their usual cherry bled pink due to his anxious teeth nipping at them throughout the journey. Both to their destination, and through the pages of his book.

Noticing his sudden shift in attitude, the distressed shadow cast over the depths of his swimming eyes, Phil glanced up from his own book. A small frown tugged at the corners of his candy stained mouth.

"Dan...?" He hummed quietly, sliding his glasses further up his nose as he observed the plains of his face etched in heartbreak. Folding down the already creased corner of his book as carefully as he could (he always lost his bookmarks), he raised his deft fingers, twirling a strand of the younger's wavy coffee hair, and tugging gently enough to catch his wavering attention. His heavily lidded eyes, framed by dipping, dark lashes that just barely contained his tears lifted to meet his stunning ocean gaze. The hush of his soothingly concerned eyes only seemed to bring him closer to crying, as he barely stifled a whimper, shoving it quickly to the back of his daffodil kissed throat before it could be set free into the quiet air. Carefully, Phil smoothed out the crinkle of distress between his dark brows, the pad of his thumb leaving a trail of soft warmth behind. A shiver wracked Dan's spine. The storm of butterflies he felt whenever he was in close proximity to the older man immediately went wild at his tender touch, and under his gentle stare. His heart pounded against his chest, which already hurt from the force of his choked back cries.

He pinched his lips together, gauging them against each other harshly enough to bring even more color to the surface of his smooth skin. His cheeks puffed out slightly, flushing with peonies.

"What's the matter?" Phil questioned, a lace like softness to his tone that had Dan melting, and leaning further into his touch, which still hadn't left his skin.

He shook his head furiously, knowing that if the answer was pried out of him, he wouldn't be able to stop the tsunami of awaiting tears that burned impatiently behind his eyes. But Phil only grew more worried at his refusal to say anything.

"Hey, you can tell me...you know I would never judge you."

Damn your kindness, Dan thought, grasping the base of his throat. Another embarrassingly high pitched whine arose, and he blushed darkly as it registered in Phil's colorful mind.

"Dan please, pleeeeeeeae tell me." He begged in a hushed tone, pouting for good measure, and that was enough to rid Dan of all self control.

His tears poured forth without warning, cascading down his heat flushed cheeks in waterfalls of uncontrollable waves. Without thinking, he slung his slender arms around Phil's neck, practically tugging him across the arm rest, and pulled him in, almost knocking his book from his lap. His nose wrinkled, face contorting as cries escaped him, his chest heaving against Phil's.

Hesitantly, Phil wrapped his arms around Dan as best as he could in their position, patting his head of curls, the small of his back, still unsure as to what was happening.

"Dan-"

"H-he died!" He blubbered out through his quiet sobs, clutching onto the fabric of Phil's shirt. "Augustus d-died! Ah I h-hate John G-Green! He m-made you t-think the w-whole time that H-Hazel..." A sniffle. "H-Hazel was gonna d-die, so I p-prepared myself f-for t-that...but then h-he went and k-killed G-Gus! D-Damn that bastard!"

Phil stifled a giggle, having already read the book before, his worry over his boyfriend melting instantly. He softly kissed the younger's temple, drawing patterns over his skin through the fabric of his shirt. He hid his smile in Dan's shoulder. "I know bear, I know. But you know it's only a book right-"

"No!" Dan interrupted, letting out another sob. "It's not! I-I loved him, and n-now he's dead!"

Phil nudged Dan's cheek with his nose, rocking him slowly from side to side. "Oh no! But I thought you loved me?" He teased softly, and thankfully Dan didn't seem to catch the playfulness threaded in his words.

"I-I do l-love you! I m-meant I-I l-loved Gus in a-a friend w-way..."

"Oh okay." Phil awed quietly, pushing back his amusement. His boyfriend was truly adorable.

"B-besides, you don't h-have any competition! C-cause G-Gus is dead n-now!"

Phil just barely managed to hold in his laughter. He pulled back slightly, unwinding his arms so he could wipe away the hot tears trailing down Dan's face. Silently, he handed the younger a tissue, and he mumbled a small thank you before blowing his nose loudly into it.

"Well," Phil started once he'd finished, tucking the soiled tissue into his empty snack bag, and resting his head on Phil's shoulder. "I promise you that I'll never ever ever die, no matter what any mean author says," He said solemnly, struggling not to giggle at his own words. But when Dan looked at him like he'd hung the stars in the sky, he decided he was more than happy to have said them. "Okay?"

Dan nodded, playing with his slender fingers. "Okay..."

Then a realization washed over him, his lips parting into a shocked o shape.

"Wait!"

A/N: Hiya. I hate to say this, but Stained Glass Pt. 3 might not be for a while. If at all. I've been debating whether to take down Stained Glass Pt. 2. I don't really know why but writing it has been stressing me out a lot. If you guys really want to read it, I'll write it, just maybe not right now. But how was this? I know it was short but I don't feel that great today so I wrote this quickly.

AND THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH FOR 20k READS OH MY GOD!

I honestly can't believe it, I screamed when I saw it for the first time. I can't thank you enough or begin to tell you how much I love you and how thankful K am. I'm so happy. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Also @acuriouslittlepirate has a book coming out! Please check it out, I'm sure it will be amazing. Please leave comments telling me your thoughts and feelings and thank you soooooo much for reading. I love you all, so so so so much, and none of your scars could make me love you any less. You're beautiful, inside and out, and I know you're going to make it out alive. Don't be hard on yourselves. Take care of yourselves, be kind to yourselves, and treat yourselves because you're special and you're worth it. You deserve kindness, happiness, and health. And you could never ever ever be a burden. Take deep breaths, everything will be okay. I believe in you. Remember to eat and stay hydrated! Love youuuuuuuu!