• forty nine •

For the second time in a few months, I woke up staring at a white ceiling with rectangular lights illuminating it. I looked around. Everyone was there. Blaire, my mom, Austin. But not Oliver.

Everyone was talking, their eyes full of sadness. Because of me? I don't remember much of what happened.

"Austin," I said weakly. Austin turned around and his eyes widened as he rushed over to me.

"Hi, baby," He sniffled, the brims of his eyes threatening to spill his tears. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay," I told him. My mom and Blaire had joined the conversation. "Just in a lot of pain."

"Well, I bet," Blaire chuckled. I smiled at her. "Why do all the badass things happen to you?"

"I'm just lucky, I guess," we both laughed and mom grabbed my hand.

"I know you're joking now, but we were so worried about you. You lost a lot of blood and we couldn't wake you up," my mom said, her eyes filling with tears as well.

"Where's Oli?" I asked Austin.

"He told me that he left after he messaged me," Austin said. "He said he knew you wouldn't want to be around him."

"He saved my life when he could've very well killed me," I told him. "I definitely want to see him."

"Well, maybe you can focus on mending your relationship with him when you get out of the hospital," Austin said.

"We're gonna go grab some snacks," mom said. "It's been a long night and we're pretty hungry."

"Okay," I smiled at them.

"What happened, B?" Austin asked as they left. "If you don't want to talk about it, it's fine."

"You tried to have a baby with her? On purpose? You proposed to her? On purpose?" I asked him. "And you didn't even consult your best friend."

"What are you talking about?" Austin asked me, looking confused.

"Ashli told me that you two apparently had an amazing relationship and planned a pretty good future," I scoffed. I was still so pissed at him for earlier that night.

"I never proposed to her and we never tried for a baby, Brooke," Austin said confidently. "We had talked about what would happen if we did start a family but that's it."

"Why would she tell me that then? If she fully planned on killing me, why would she need to lie?" I asked him.

"Hell if I know. B, you know she's crazy," Austin shook his head.

"Yeah, apparently fucking so," I said, pointing to my leg.

"I'm glad you're okay," he said, leaning in to kiss me. I put my hand up.

"Do not try to kiss me," I told him, rolling my eyes.

He couldn't possibly think that I'd forgotten about him bringing another girl back to his dressing room. I don't care if someone flung me from a building, he's not getting away with this one.

"Brooke. I was so fucking scared tonight. Think about how I felt for one second. The person I love with my whole heart got attacked in her own home," Austin said, his eyes watering. "I didn't know how you were. I got a message that said you had been shot. No context. Please just fucking bear with me. I know I fucked up. But can we please just deal with that later? My heart broke twice tonight. I just need to kiss you once."

"Austin, do you even know how much it just took for me to not give in and kiss you?" I asked him. "And do you think my heart hasn't been broken tonight? I'm not dealing with it later. I'm dealing with it now. And I'm telling you that no matter how in love with you I may be, I am not being the girl who gets cheated on just because her boyfriend, or fiancé- whatever the fuck you are, is a celebrity."

"I never cheated on you and I never will, Brooke," Austin told me. "I met this girl and two of her male friends at the bar. I told them all they could come back and party. You just got there before everyone else could. How big of a dick would I have been if I would've told the one girl that was there that she couldn't come? I'm sorry I hurt your feelings but you should know that I would never do anything to jeopardize the best relationship I've ever been in."

"How is it the best?" I asked quietly. "We are always fighting."

"No, we aren't Brooke. We've had some arguments but think about how you feel when all the good times happen," Austin took my hand in his. I didn't pull away. "Think about how you wake up in the mornings and my arm is still wrapped around you. Sometimes you think I'm asleep when I'm not. I see how you smile and get comfortable to try to fall back asleep. Think about the nights spent on the balcony trying to figure out if God is real or not. Think about how well our lips fit together and how we both seem to feel like there's no one else on the planet when we kiss. Think about how fucking in love with you I am and how much I want to marry you and be able to tell the whole world you're my wife. Think about me, your best friend."

I pulled him by his shirt towards me and kissed him. He smiled and kissed me again. What an asshole, always making me happy. The door opened and mom and Blaire walked in, followed by a doctor.

"Hi, Brooke," The doctor said. "How are we feeling?"

"I'm feeling lots better," I told her.

"Okay, well I need to speak with you. Would you like them to step outside or stay in here?" She asked me.

"They can stay, they're all family," I said.

"Alright, well it seems like everything is fine. We removed the bullet and stitched up the wound. But there is one other thing."

"Yes?" I asked.

"You seem to be pregnant."

a/n: COMMENT YOUR THOUGHTS. i loveeee hearing them. :-))

.