Chapter 18

Blair's P. O. V.

I walk into the tower, sitting down in a chair next to Max and Jesse. Now that I was injured, i'm confined to the tower.

Someone knocks on the back door of the tower so I jog down and open the door to see Jenny. I look at her in shock, "Jenny! Hi! What's up?"

She smiles at me, "Hi Blair. Have you seen Jake?"

I shake my head, "No, sorry"

Lie. He's at home getting a quick shower before coming to work because he spent the night at my house last night.

She nods, "Oh okay. I just wanted to see him. We had a date last night but he cancelled. Saying he had a work emergency"

I nod, "Oh, yeah, we had a person go missed and presumed to be drowned at a nearby beach. Some of the Bondi lifeguards helped out. I'm sure that's what he was doing"

Lie. He was at my house. Kissing me. Holding me.

Jenny nods, "Oh my gosh that's horrible. He hasn't answered any of my calls or texts this morning. Will you tell him to text me when he gets here?"

I smile, "Absolutely"

She hugs me, "Thanks Blair. See ya!"

I wave as she walks away. I go back up to my seat. A few minutes later, Jake walks in. I look at him, "Jenny stopped by"

He looks shocked, "Uh what?"

I raise my brows, "She wants you to text her. She said you cancelled your date last night with a work emergency. I told her you were helping with the kid. "

Jake fakes a smile, remembering there are other people in the tower, "Thanks Blair. I appreciate that. I'll give her a text now"

He's on the sand today so he leaves the tower. Max looks at me, "Sorry I had to leave so early last night. "

I smile, "It's okay. How was dinner with your family?"

He grins at me, "It was good. He was glad to see me. "

"I'm sure he was!"

I see Jesse looking at us out of the corner of his eye. I know he heard Max say he was at my place last night. Oh well. We're all friends so it's not totally weird to have someone over at my place.

***

The day was actually the easiest day since i've been working here. It was a nice change. When we all pack up and are officially off duty, we leave the tower. I'm walking out with Jake and Jenny is standing there again.

She doesn't look happy. Jake says, "Jenny, hi"

She frowns, "Why haven't you texted me all day?"

I look at Jake in surprise since I told him to text her. Jake rubs his neck, "Yeah Blair told me you stopped by. I'm sorry Jenny, but today was a really hectic and busy day. I just never got the chance"

Lie. Today was pretty easy.

Max stops in the parking lot and turns around, "Blair! Come on!"

A bunch of us are going out to dinner. Jake looks at Jenny, "Sorry Jen, we have to go"

"Where are you going?"

I bite my lip, "Just to dinner"

Jenny raises her brows, "I haven't eaten yet. "

She looks at Jake expectantly so he says, "Do you want to come?"

She grabs his hand in hers, entwining their fingers, "Absolutely"

Suddenly her mood is changed and she's happy. I jog ahead to catch up with Max, not wanting to be around Jake and Jenny.

When I reach Max, he lays his arm across my shoulders, pulling me close to him. Since Jake is behind us, I know he sees.

When we get to the restaurant, Max and I end up sitting across from Jake and Jenny. This was exactly what I didn't want to happen.

After about 10 minutes into dinner, Jenny says, "Blair, you and Max look so great together. You should date!"

I look at her in shock as Max says, "Actually Jenny, funny story. I'm the one who met her first and was definitely interested in her. But then she started hanging out with Jake and I think they actually dated for a bit. Then she started dating Hoppo for a year. So we stopped hanging out. But that night at the club, I found her outside by herself and she looked really sad. So I took her home. And I think I definitely cheered her up, if ya know what I mean. And we've been spending time together ever since"

I bite my lip, finally looking up to meet Jake and Jenny's eyes. Jake looks at me and I can tell he's in shock that Max basically just told them we slept together. Jenny looks at me with furrowed brows then looks at Jake, "How come you guys didn't tell me you dated?"

I shrug, "It wasn't important"

Jenny shakes her head, "Hell yes it's important. I thought we were friends, Blair. And you're stunning. And you work with Jake every day. And I know he is really fond of you. But I never saw you as a threat. I guess it's my own stupid fault"

Jake quickly says, "Jenny, she isn't a threat. The thing with Blair and I was over a year ago. Long over"

We make eye contact, knowing full well he's lying. Jenny takes a deep breath, "I'm sorry I snapped at you, Blair. But I just need some time to wrap my head around this"

She gets up and walks out. Jake looks at Max, "Good going, lover boy"

Then he storms off after her. Max looks at me with a pained expression on his face, "I'm so sorry. I had no idea she didn't know"

I grab his hand in mine, giving it a squeeze, "It's fine, Max. It's not your fault. She would've found out eventually"

We pay for our food and say bye to everyone else before leaving, going back to Max's place this time.