Chapter 22

Blair's P. O. V.

The day just ended and the boys are coming up into the tower to get their bags. I see Max walk in so I quickly walk down into the lower part of the tower, grabbing him, "Max,"

He looks at me and smiles, "Hey beautiful"

I smile at him, "Can I cook dinner for you?"

He raises his brows, "Is this a-"

"A date. Yes. So what do you say?"

Max chuckles, "Of course, Blair. Let's go"

I wave bye to Jake then leave with Max, hand in hand. I can't help but turn around and see Jake watching us walk away.

***

I'm in the kitchen dancing to some music while Max is setting the table. I shut my eyes and dance to the music and when I open my eyes, I see Max leaning in the doorway, watching me dance.

I quickly stop, laughing. Max grins and walks over to me, grabbing my hand and spinning me out before spinning me into his body.

I wrap my arms around his neck as he says, "I can't believe we wasted over a year not being together. "

I smile and press my lips against his. He pulls me into a hug, "I want you to meet my family"

I pull away in shock, "Really?"

Max nods, "Yeah. I'm serious about you. And that's how I show someone i'm serious"

I grin, "Okay"

"Okay?"

I press my lips against his, "Okay"

I start to smell my food so I quickly turn around, going back to the stove, "Ya know Max, you're quite distracting"

He wraps his arms around my waist, setting his chin on my shoulder, "I could say the same thing to you everyday at work"

I grin, and finish cooking the food. I step back, "Alright, dinner is ready!"

Max and I grab the pots and pans and go over to the table to dish. I made a roast chicken, mashed potatoes and asparagus. Max pours us some wine then we sit down.

Max squeezes my hand, "Thank you for dinner"

I smile, "You're welcome"

I take a deep breath, "Actually, Max. There's something I have to tell you," I pause, "I'm pregnant"

Max raises his brows then smiles, "This is amazing!"

I smile as he grabs me into a passionate kiss. "I'm so happy you're happy."

We eat and have good conversation. Max makes me laugh but I can't help but have Jake in the back of my mind. No matter how hard I try, he's always there.

***

It's been a couple weeks since Max and I officially started dating. Things have been great. He makes me happy. We haven't told anyone about the baby. Jake is happy with Jenny. We haven't hung out just the two of us since that night Jenny almost caught us.

Max and I just got to the tower for work but when we walk in, Jenny is in there. All the boys are crowded around her and Jake.

"What's going on?"

Maxi quickly turns around and looks at me, grabbing my hand in his. He gives me a sad look, "Jake proposed to Jenny last night"

Immediately it's like my world is closing in around me. I take a step back and Maxi hangs on to me, steadying me. Max says, "Jake! Mate! Congratulations!"

They hug then Max hugs Jenny. I see all the guys giving me sad looks. They all know how much this hurts me.

I push my way through the boys and plaster a fake smile on my face, hugging both of them, "Congrats guys. That's really great"

Then I quickly leave the tower. Hoppo follows after me, "Blair," I stop and look at him. He sighs, "I'm so sorry. "

I shake my head, wiping a tear that managed to escape my eye, "There's nothing to be sorry for. I'm not sitting in that tower today. "

Hoppo sighs, "But Blair, you're going to be distracted. Why don't you just go home?"

I shake my head, "No, i'm on the sand today"

He nods, "Okay. Let me know if you need anything"

I nod and go back into the tower, grabbing my walkie talkie then go down to the rhino. Maxi comes down and gets in with me, "I'm with you today"

I smile, "Great"

We drive to the north end of Bondi, parking. Maxi takes a deep breath, "How are you doing?"

I look at him, biting my lip, "I just can't believe it. I guess there was always a part of me that thought we would eventually find our way back to each other. But it doesn't seem like that's going to happen. "

Maxi sighs, "I don't know what he's doing or what he's thinking. But I don't want you to give up. He loves you"

I shake my head, "That's what everyone says but there's no evidence of that. He has Jenny. And now I have Max. And he makes me happy."

Maxi doesn't say anything else so we just sit there, watching the water.

***

When the day is over, I end up back in the tower where Jake is. I try to get out as quickly as possible. I grab my bag and go to leave but Max stops me, "Hey, babe, want to come over?"

I shake my head, "No, I think i'll just go home and go to bed. I'm not feeling very well"

"Well i'll come take care of you"

I smile, "That's okay, Max. You go out with some friends or something. I'll see you tomorrow"

I lean up and peck his lips then rush out of there. I go home and crumble to pieces the second I enter my apartment.

I call Sophia, "Hey Blair! How are you?"

A sob escapes my mouth. I can hear her panic, "Blair? What's wrong? Are you okay? Do I need to call Jake to make sure you're okay?"

That makes me cry even harder. I finally manage to croak out, "Jake proposed to Jenny"

I'm met with silence on the phone. Then she says, "Oh Blair, I am so so so sorry."

I bite my lip, trying to stop crying, "I feel numb. Like life doesn't even matter anymore. I need him, Sophia. I do. "

"Tell him that, Blair! You guys have had this constant weird flirting and sexual tension but neither one of you actually says what they feel. That's what you need to do!"

I take a deep breath, "I can't do that now. He's engaged! It's over, Sophia. I lost"

"You didn't lose until they say I Do. Please don't give up! He's the love of your life. Yeah, Hoppo was great. Max is great. But Jake is The One. "

I sigh, "I'm gonna go to bed, Soph. I'll talk to you later"

I hang up and go shower then get into bed, crying myself to sleep.