Chapter 62

Maggie's POV:
I couldn't get the words out of my mouth. Aaliyah sighs moving her finger to the accept button. Shit. "Wait! I-I'll tell you. Just d-don't tell Shawn." I stutter.

She lates her gaze move from me to my phone, frowning. "Okey fine." Aaliyah mumbles and gives it back to me. "Um..." I whisper, not sure how to start.

I kept this a secret for more than one year and now I should tell her. She already knows. It's now use to lie anyways. "Maggie!" Aaliyah shouts frustrated, still standing in front of me with her arms crossed.

Shrugging, I pull my legs towards me and wrap my arms around them. I could feel the tears welling in my eyes, struggling to keep back the sobs. Aaliyah's face soften as she notices. Quickly, she sits down next to me to pull me into a comforting hug.

"I'm sorry Maggie. But please tell me now... this isn't okey." she whispers while stroking my back. I nod and wipe the tears which have fallen away. After taking a deep breath, I start to explain.

"That was m-my... uh... my stepfather." I squeeze my eyes shut not wanting to see her expression. "Oh go... Maggie. He hit you? Is this happening more often?" Aaliyah asks and takes my hand in hers. I just nod. "Since

"For how long?"  "A-about a year." I mumble, holding back tears.

"Why? Why did you never tell anyone? Like Shawn? Or your mom?" I sigh again and tell her why I kept this a secret. Why I still have to keep this a secret. "I understand what you mean but we have to call the police! Maggie we'll persuade Shawn to stay in New York okey? But we have to tell someone." Aaliyah says softly.

"No no no. Please Aaliyah. Listen, if we call the police and Aron gets arrested, we'll have to move to my aunt in England. My mom can't take care of Melly and me. They will send us away." I say, shaking my head frantically.

"Please. I can't go away from here. I can't leave my mom here." „But we can't do nothing! That's dangerous Maggie." Aaliyah says, stroking a hand trough her hair.

"Aaliyah please trust me. He was drunk. I know what to do when he's like that but this time I had to go back because I forgot Melody. It's not gonna happen again. Please." I plead.

She looks at me worriedly, her lips pressed together as she thinks. „Okey... fine. I won't tell anyone yet. We are going to wait until Shawn is back. But you have to promise me something."

"Anything." I reply. „If he's drunk again or hits you again, you are going to call me immediately. I don't want anything to happen to you." she says, a tear running down her cheek. „Thank you so much Aaliyah! I promise I'll call you. Don't worry." I say relieved and pull her into a hug.

I don't know what to think of telling Shawn. I'm afraid. Afraid that I have to leave everything behind. I don't want everyone to know this... but at least it's a still a secret for now.

"I'm gonna call Shawn back." I say and leave the room. He picks up immediately making me smile. „Hey baby! I have great news! Guess what! I have a contract with Island Records! Can you believe that?" he explains excitedly.

„Oh my god really? Shawn this is amazing! I knew they would like you!" I reply. I'm so happy for him. His dream is coming true. „Thank you hun." Shawn chuckles. „Anyways how's your day so far?" He's so cute. Always asking how I am.

"Really good. I've been watching movie with Aaliyah so it was fun." I say, playing with the end of my shirt. I hate to keep something from him but it's just better for now. „Oh my sister and girlfriend are becoming best friends? That's great!" he says, causing me to laugh.

"I have to go now baby. Sorry but I need to be in the studio again in about half a hour. I love you." he says sighing. „Have fun Shawnie. Love you too." I reply before hanging up. I walk back into the room where Aaliyah sits on her bed, looking at me worriedly.

"Can we just leave it for now please?" I say, sitting next to her. „Okey." she sighs, giving me a reassuring smile. Aaliyah and I spent the rest of the afternoon watching movies and baking muffins.

"If Shawn would know." Aaliyah laughs and bites into one of the chocolate chip muffins. I laugh too but my smiles fades as I see how late it is. 6:50 pm is standing on my phone. Shit I have to be home.

"Aaliyah I'm sorry but it's already late. I have to go now." I say and quickly stand up from the kitchen chair, grabbing my things. „Why are you so stressed? It's about your stepfather right?" she asks, crossing her arms.

„Aaliyah I have to go now. Are your parents going to be home soon?" „Fine and don't worry I'm not little anymore. They will be here soon." she replies and hugs me. „Take care Maggie." „I will." I say smiling slightly, jogging to my car. A few minutes later I arrive at home.

Seeing that Aron's car is still not there makes me sigh relieved. Guess, I'll get to know the babysitter. While walking to the front door, I take my key out of my pocket.

Before I could unlock the door swings open, revealing someone I wouldn't have expected. „Hey Maggie."