chapter twenty

Emiliana's POV
"Raphael?" the familiar voice calls again and I pause, Raphael's lips still over mine. Realization dawns unto him and his hand freezes on my hair. I pull gentle away from him and he didn't resist. My face is flushed red and my lips swollen. I turn to the voice and I feel terribly bad and ashamed for what I have done.

Daniel is standing there, holding two cones of ice cream that was dripping on his hand. His eye is bloodshot and I can see tears welling up in his eyes. He just confessed his feelings to me and here I am, kissing his best friend.

I turn to look at Raphael and he looks just as embarrassed as I am. He bites on his lower lips and running his hands through his hair. The three of us stands in a triangle watching each other until Daniel scoffs, throwing the ice cream on the floor and walking off in the opposite direction.

"Daniel wait, I can explain! " Raphael calls running after him.

I open my mouth to say something but close it back. Why did Raphael want to explain? I should be the one doing the explanation and not him. Or did he know that Daniel liked me?

Raphael's POV
"Daniel wait! " I call again as Daniel stops abruptly in front of his car and turns to look at me. His eye is welled with tears and he looks very angry.

"what? What do you want to say? " he asks annoyance dripping in his voice.

"I didn't mean for this to happen " I wheeze running my hands through my hair that still throbbed from her touch.

He raises his eyebrow at me as if he knew that I wasn't serious.

"you can have anyone you want, why must it be her? The one that I want" he says looking into the distance.

I stare at him. How would I tell him that I met her four years ago and that was when I liked her? How would I say that I tried so hard not to like her because of him?

"I'm sorry " was the only thing that escaped from my lips.

"I asked you several times if you liked her and you FUCKING said no. What in the world can you say that will justify what you did" the anger is back and tears start welling up in his eye. I look like a little boy that is being scolded by his father, I am leaning on the car, my hands in my pocket wondering what to say.

"we never took each others girls, why are you doing it now" he asks opening his car door and I know he will soon leave.

"I have nothing to say" I say finally and he turns to look at me again. Irritation present in his face.

"let's fight then, but we can't be friends anymore. Right now, I resent you more than anything" with that he enters the car. I lean away from it as he drives off.

I run my hands through my hair again and kick a small stone. Why am I like this? Why can't I control my feelings? I should forget about emiliana but I can't.

I walk back to where I met Emiliana and she's still standing there. She's looking around and when she catches my eye, she walks hurriedly towards me.

"are you okay" she asks looking around for any visible injury but there wasnt and she breathed relieved. I didn't have any injury, my heart hurt.

"why didn't you go home, it's cold outside " I say quietly

"oh.. I was worried that you two would throw punches at each other so I decided to wait." she says smiling a little.

I smile back at her. I should just watch her from a distance and not fight with my best friend.

"then, see you at work" I say turning around but small hands grab my wrist.

"did you know? How Daniel felt.. " she starts and I turn to her, giving her a small smile before leaving.