chapter twenty two

Emiliana's  POV
I squint my eyes at the bright light that shines through the window. I pull the blanket off my body and place my palm on my forehead. My fever is gone.

I stand up to brush my teeth when the event of last night flooded my mind.  I made Raphael sleep with me on the bed. I look around the room but he was nowhere to be seen. I sigh.

He left.

The only thing in the room was 'the boss's desire turned over on the chair beside my bed on the last page.

Oh my God! Did he read that.  He must have thought I wrote it. I bite my lips and go into the toilet.  After brushing my teeth, I suddenly hear sizzling in the kitchen.  pursing my lips, I wonder if jasmine came home last night.

I make my way to the kitchen and stand there dumbfounded.  My lips fall ajar as I stare at Raphael in the kitchen. I suddenly smile because he didn't leave. Leaning on the door, I observe him

His muscles are flexing just like he is excersing but in this case, cooking.  His hands move fast slicing onions, frying them and turning the cooker on and off.  I sigh dreamily at the mouthwatering sight in front of me.

"how long have you been standing there" he says as he turns around to the spoon from the table behind him. 

"not that long" I reply walking to the table he was cooking.  Suddenly, he moves swiftly towards me that there is no space between us. I slightly part my lips to breathe because my heart is about to explode. His hand moves up and his palm covers my forehead.

"thank God,  your fever is gone" he announces going back to cutting stuffs.

"I'm sorry for making you stay last night " I apologize

"I wanted to stay too" he says and gives me a small smile.

And then, something else flashes in my head. I said I liked him. I mentally groan.

"I said something last night" I start and he turns to look at me.

"I know,  it was just the fever talking" he answers frying the garlic.

"it wasnt" I say looking away "I meant what I said" i say again.

"you can't take that back" he says turning to me.

I suddenly remember what his mother said but I didn't care. I like him.. No, i love him.

"I know I can't take it back" I smile at him.

He smiles at me and I can see tears at the side of his eye.  He walks slowly towards me and wraps his hand around me. I smile before wrapping my hands around him too. His hand tightens around me and I smile again and pat his back gently.

"I love you" he whispers in my ear.

We stay like that for a few seconds until I notice the onion is burning.

"it's burning" I exclaim pulling away. Raphael hurriedly puts the cooker off and tries to salvage it. He does everything perfectly well and I just stand and watch him. He is a master chef.

"what did you make anyway? There are lots of food I have only seen on TV and haven't actually tasted " I admit my mouth watering as he expertly serves the food.

He smiles at me before talking "sausage casserole, egg and tomato scramble and ratatouille frittata"

"here, taste this" he says dipping his hands in sauce and holding it out.  I lean forward and lick the sauce from this hands. His expression suddenly freezes and he looks away embarrassed.