28. I have a love/hate relationship with music

Hello everyone! Hope you all enjoyed 27 as much as I enjoyed writing it! If you haven't read it yet, WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?! GO BACK AND READ IT

next chapter will have some quality snarking!

___

I was walking along the streets of Paris. It was night. None of the lights were working either. It was fine however, the full moon was plenty bright, hovering over the horizon of the city like a phantom sun. Nobody was there but me either. No other pedestrian, no car, nobody inside shops.

I guess it sounds eerie but honestly, all it did was feel tranquil. No hustle and bustle of the city, eternally at unrest. No no, it felt like for once the city was actually sleeping.

As I turned the corner my gaze locked on a warm yellow glow coming from an apartment, Claude's apartment. It was my final destination. Finally! I was tired of treking around all night! I couldn't wait to get home where my mom, Claude and Paws were all waiting for me.

I sped up my pace, eager to get there. Then a shadow crossed my path, it emerged from between the alleyways. I couldn't tell if it was an actual black cat, or if it was just too dark to see it as anything else.

The cat turned its head, it's eyes glowing sinisterly. It had that same sadistic and gleeful squint that the cat on my ring had.

"Mrrrow!" The cat lept back into the shadows of the alley. I dashed over to alley and stared at where it vanished. It was still here somewhere, I could tell...

The apartment light twinkled invitingly to my left, and for a second my gaze shifted.

"Mrrrow!" I heart the cat again from deep within the alley. At the very end I saw a figure. Something about it was familiar but I couldn't place my finger on it. Then at the figure's feet, I could see the silhouette of the cat. It's luminous eyes still cutting through the darkness, as it turned it's head and stared right at me. The ring on my hand was suddenly feeling painfully tight, and heavy.

The figure turned, and I could somehow tell that it was looking at me too. It spoke. It was too far away to understand what it said but I did recognize the voice.

"Adrien?"

He turned and ran.

The apartment lights went out the second I ran through the valley after my twin. "Wait!" When I reached the end of the alley, I turned in the direction I saw him go. The large cat bounded at my heels besides me, smiling insidiously.

I could see Adrien walking calmly further down the street. He turned and disappeared into another alley.

This... this was strange. Adrien was supposed to be dead. Then again, it's not like I ever saw him after he died, my mom didn't let me. Surely she wouldn't have lied to me about him being dead?

I dove into the alley that Adrien had gone in. Despite appearing that he was only walking, he still managed to maintain a considerable distance away from me, already being at the end of the alley. He was facing me. As soon as he saw that I was still following, he turned and went down another way.

"Mrrrroaw!!" The cat cackled. It was now the size of a large dog, and it stared hungrily at my ring hand. I chose to ignore it in favor of catching up with my brother, despite the growing stiffness and aching in my ring hand that was also starting to go past my wrist.

Emerging from the alley, I paused to catch my breath, leaning on my knees. I was on the street that followed the Seine. After a minute, I straightened and walked to the middle of the street. The yellow moon casting everything in a dim grey light. The cat remained in the alley, it's green eyes cutting the blackness.