36. I Punch Trash-Dad

Yeah, I know I'm early. I'm excited! Next chapter will also be out soon!

_____

As the eyeball retreated back into the wall, I eyed Fuko.

"Curse the gate?" she asked me.

"Curse the gate," I confirmed.

It took a few minutes, but at last, Fuko managed to curse it enough that with a suitable shove, the gate swung wide open. I thought we'd maybe have to do the same thing to the front door, but Natalie burst out of it enraged.

"What do you think you're doing?!"

"Yeah, your front gate isn't as protective as you think," I gestured over my shoulder. Then I walked past her and straight up to Paws' room. As usual, the bodyguard merely gave me a nod and let me in.

"Paws?" I called out as I entered the room.

He was sitting on the couch staring blankly at the floor. "I'm surprised Natalie let you in," he muttered.

"She didn't," I closed the door behind me and sat next to him, "Fuko did," I smirked mischievously at him.

He gave me a small smile at that comment, before sighing and going back to being morose. "Why did I take that stupid book out of that vault?" he lamented.

"What happened?" I asked him.

"I found out my father has a secret safe, and Plagg unlocked it so we could look inside. I didn't really pay attention to the other things in there, but Plagg shoved a book in my arms. Before I could put it back, Natalie called me to go to school, and I had to hide it in my bag. I meant to return it later! I thought maybe I could look through it to learn more about my dad! But..." he sighed, "I lost it at school, and my dad caught me on the security camera. Now I have to be homeschooled again, and he's not going to let me leave this house, ever."

Wait a second... Hadn't Laces mentioned something along the lines of Lila stealing a book? Uh, nevermind that now...

I pulled him into a side hug and let him cling onto me, "Look Paws," I admitted, "I don't think going through your dad's secret safe and taking something from it without permission to be the smartest idea."

"I know..." Paws groaned. To be fair, it seemed to be partially his kwami's fault. Good to know Fuko wasn't the only bad luck spirit that caused problems.

"But imprisoning you here is completely disproportionate retribution," I followed up.

"Yeah, well," Paws scoffed, "Good luck trying to convince my father otherwise."

I pressed my lips together and leaned back on the couch. Yeah... that was true. Another reason I was glad that man was away from me and my family.

"Wait a minute," Paws said, "What if I find the book! Then everything could go back to normal!"

"How are you going to find the book while you're grounded?" I asked him, not sure where this was going.

Paws stood up, "As Chat Noir! If you're here, you can cover for me if anyone comes in my room!" he looked at me pleadingly.

I wanted to say no, I really did. But honestly, he was actually trying to be responsible and find what he lost. Although, I wasn't sure how much luck he'd have considering it had been stolen.

"Alright Paws," I agreed, "Just be quick about it." I stood up, "I'll give you some privacy," and went into the bathroom. I had a brief glaring contest with the mirror before diverting my attention away from it, muttering angrily, "I hate mirrors."