39. To the Rescue!

Finale part 3 

____

"Félix?" Zara called.

He remained laying on the couch, but he answered back, "I-... I can't feel my hand," his voice trembled. As Félix spoke, the dark mist had completely encased his neck, and had already gotten a start on his head, not to mention his chest and back. It was spreading at an alarming rate. Much faster than Zara would have imagined.

Félix yelled out in pain, and started flailing on the couch as the mist overtook his body.

Zara ran to the door and kicked it frantically, "Dad! DAD!" she screamed, "You gotta let me out! Please!"

"Your father is busy brewing up a potion to extend the radius of the spell," a member of the circle who must have been keeping guard told her.

"FÉLIX IS REVERTING! LET ME OUT!" Zara begged.

"What?!"

Before Zara could scream frantically some more to be let out, there was a mixture between a roar and a scream, and then the scraping of furniture. Zara turned and only barely managed to dodge out of the way as a couch was launched at the door. Upon impact, the doors glowed with magic, absorbing whatever damage it should have caused.

Zara cussed hideously under her breath. Nobody had told her that the beastial transformation also augmented strength! The normal transformation with the ring didn't do that!

A large dark form then leapt across the room and threw itself at the door. Again, magic rippled through the room as it absorbed the damage. Frustrated, the black figure began clawing at the door.

Zara blinked, trying to take it in. Logically, that was Félix, but in the black fog that covered him, it was hard to recognize him. From where she was, he looked like a hazy mirage of a humanoid, large, black cat.

There was shouting at the door. It sounded like someone was trying to get in unsuccessfully. Beast-Félix roared angrily in response and attempted digging his claws in to rattle the door open.

Zara bit her lip nervously. She wasn't so sure they'd be able to get in with the magical defenses activated.

Beast-Félix lifted up another couch and slammed it into the door.

He's still trying to get out. Zara realized. He's still somewhat in control! Although... who knows how long that'll last...

***

Chat Noir paced restlessly on the rooftop, "Twenty-four hours at the very least?!" he ranted, "That's way too long! It might be too late by then!" he yelled.

Ladybug sighed, equally as frustrated, "I know! There's got to be something else we can do!"

"Yeah, but what?" Chat was defeated. He was a superhero. He had saved Paris multiple times. He had faced many dangers. He had saved many people. But as of right now? All of that meant nothing. Félix had vanished, just like his mother had, and even with all his new powers, abilities and assets, he was just as useless now as he had been back then.

Now, it even felt almost worse. At the time of his mother's disappearance, Chat couldn't help but accept his own helplessness. He was a child. He didn't know any details. He wasn't allowed to leave his home. But now? Sure, he was still young, but he had superpowers. He actually knew where Félix had been headed, and had even visited the spot where he had supposedly been abducted. And he was allowed to leave. Well technically, he was sneaking out, but he was still able to be out and investigate.